Drastic consumption monitoring accuracy issues after installing solar monitoring

I recently installed sense solar monitoring for my 7kW grid-tie solar system. According to the inverter manufacturer production CTs the sense solar production monitor is accurate to 1% however I’m experiencing massive swings in sense consumption numbers opposite of the daytime dip. It seems that my consumption is always a minimum of ~30% of my solar production even when it should be reading a baseline of ~200w consumption. Also the consumption monitor is now under reporting actual loads.For instance sense said my AC used around 3500w before installing the solar monitor and now sense says it only uses 2700w, a massive difference in load.

This graph shows an obvious issue where consumption is following production, often reporting consumption as more than 1000w higher than it should be. Around 3pm the sense monitor decided that it would no longer record positive consumption numbers when production exceeded consumption, and now anytime I’m exporting power to the grid the consumption monitor reports 0 in real time and negative when I look into the past.

And today my monitor showed zero real time consumption for most of the day because I was exporting a large fraction of my production to the grid.

I’ve tried power cycling the monitor several times, for one cycle I left it off for more than 30 minutes. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling and re-calibrating the solar sensors to no avail. It is a very frustrating issue because I’ am no longer getting any meaningful data from my monitor. Has anyone had this issue and solved it succesfully before?

Thanks

Mike

Contact support@sense.com if your usage is partially mirroring your solar production like the waveforms show…

1 Like

I just installed sense with solar this weekend, and I’m seeing the same issue. I’ve contacted support, but wanted to chime in here to let others know it’s not an isolated problem.

I’m also seeing weird issues. I just got the solar inspected and up and running this week and added the Solar monitors to my Sense. This happened today and I’m pretty sure my house usage didn’t suddenly drop to zero. Well I can’t post images so whatevs.

Make sure all the CT clamps are closed. Also make sure that when installing the cover on your circuit breaker panel that you are not accidentally opening a clamp with it. This happened to me and took forever to figure out.

It’s not that it doesn’t work, it’s that sometimes, the is basically deducting my solar production from my power usage. I’ll check my taps to be sure but it seems to be seeing the power generation just fine but doesn’t deal with it correctly. Then again it keeps forgetting about my electric car and this is I suddenly have an unknown device pulling 10 times what the rest of the house is at random times so I shouldn’t be surprised I guess.

Going to see if I can post the photo now. (I can’t, they must has some sort of post limit not mentioned in the guidelines.) well, guess I can’t get help here or help others.

Right, the clamps will still work when slightly open but the number will be way off. For me I had one solar clamp that was just slightly open and I was seeing my solar production being added to my consumption numbers.

My EV has never been detected and I’m not sure it ever will. The nature of ev charging makes it very difficult to detect. It’s only real identifier is the huge power usage but sense needs more that that.

Ok. Photo posting is now on, thanks @kevin1 .

So, this is what I’m talking about, yesterday was a bit weird with bands of heavy clouds moving though, with patches of clear.

Thanks, it looks like the solar is getting subtracted off of total usage. I would consult support.

Just as an FYI, I had contacted support. They looked into it and made some adjustment and it is working great now.

3 Likes