Hard Reset / Starting Over - worth it?

I have done two hard reset events with my Sense over the past 3 years. My thoughts:

• I get back to approximately the same place each time, though the detections came faster after the 1st and 2nd restart events.
  • A hard reset will not help with conflations. Conflations are just a fact of life as Sense works to improve models - I still often see one step backward to eventually move two steps forward.
  • A hard reset will not help with a high Always On. Ryan published a good document on how to sort through your Always On here:
    How To: Take a thorough inventory of your Always On devices
  • The biggest pain with a hard reset is that it throws away all the specific device info you might have laboriously entered - model #'s, real names of devices. I recommend that you do an export of data so you’ll at least have a copy of all this information. I’m guessing that a hard reset will also kill off your home inventory. That can’t be saved via export.
  • The other big pain will be the sleuthing - devices might come back with different detection names than the last time.

My 2c - before you do the hard reset, considering run investing in a few Kasa smart plugs (if you haven’t already done so) to poke around with your possible Always Ons and Other contributors.

3 Likes