How important is automation for you in the 'smart home'?

@tokind gets the prize for ingenuity…

1. I agree that motion sensors should have adjustable windows to suit the use… I’ve used tape in these situations…

2. occupancy / motion sensors usually have an adjustment for sensitivity… you may want to play with those settings and get it to the point it doesn’t detect roll-overs in bed…

3. I think there is a point in which convenience becomes inconvenient…

my overall importance to automation: strong 6 on a scale of 10…

my opinion, automation is emerging, but its not quite where I think it could be… I feel that hardware is advanced enough, but software hasn’t caught up with it… and I believe the up and coming generations are loosing the creativity needed to get software to hardware levels…

I use motion sensors for quite a few rooms in my house as well. I use the SmartThings ones and just have them programmed to not use the motion sensing during the times we are normally asleep. This works pretty well, except for those days where one of us is sick and stays in bed or something and then the lights keep turning on/off rolling over. For those occasions I just take the sensor down since they’re just mounted magnetically (see link) and stick it in a drawer :slight_smile:

This works super awesome :slight_smile:

Would SmartThings allow you to create a virtual status variable “Sick mode” or whatever you’d like that if enabled the lights don’t do their thing to motion? Then if home sick yell at Alexa to enable sick mode. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t even thought about doing that. Must try that out.

I do that type of thing within HomeSeer.

For example I have a “Holiday Mode” virtual device I turn on/off inside of HomeSeer if I enable other routines like “Christmas Mode” or “Halloween Mode” which I use for setting holiday specific lighting scenes. My usual lighting automation routines have if “If Holiday Mode == $False” in them which then prevents them from running when I’m doing holiday stuff.