Hue integration woes - only added rooms/groups

I enabled the Hue integration, but I don’t like it. I have 4 5 lights in my dining room. One is controlled by a motion sensor only. Any time that light turns on, it reports that my dining room is on. I only want to see my light, not the room. That one light is not representative of my space.

I also have two buffet table light in the space. Those lights are only turned on for events, to create the right mood. Again, those lights are not representative of the whole space, and the two lights are in a group name buffet table, as well as being in the room, Dining Room.

My backyard has only one Hue light at this time, so it appears using the light’s name, whereas by front yard which has 6 hue lights appears as a single light “Front Yard”

What am I doing wrong? Did I miss a step during setup of the integration? When I go back to the integration, my only option is to delete it, or cancel.

TIA

Sense uses the room groupings and naming you set in the Hue app. I had to add an extra “room” to deal with having two different banks of Hue bulbs in my family room.

2 Likes

As @kevin1 mentioned you have the lights in groups within Hue so therefore they are in Sense in that manner.

Sense takes the total combined usage power from all of the devices in that group and reports that group. So if you have 6 lights in a group it will take the sum of all 6 lights and report it in Sense.

While you might not like the grouping, some of us go crazy without it. Let me give you an example:

• In my Kitchen I have 12 recessed Hue lamps. In my living room I have 6 more recessed.

If they were all individual then in Sense it would show as 18 bubbles when I have both rooms turned on. That’s only two rooms. I have about 40-50 Hue bulbs. If I turned them all on I would have that many bubbles in Sense.

My suggestion:
If you don’t like the way they are named then go into the Hue app and rename them to something like “Overhead Dining Room Lights” or “Front Yard Landscape Lighting”

Elaborate a bit more in the group description within Hue so that it doesn’t appear that it’s an entire room.

1 Like

It used to show individual light groups for each room, I just noticed that it now only shows total rooms. Don’t want a bunch of non existent rooms just for Sense. Don’t know if Sense, or Hue messed it up, but I hate it. Tried using zones for a might in the Hue app, but it doesn’t seem to work.

I’m sure by commenting, something will happen and it will stop working, but for me, I still see my hue zones, and I do t see any of my rooms… I never saw individual hue lights, except by normal discovery as light #, where I then have to go around hunting for the device.

Somewhere along the way, between Hue, HomeKit, and Sense, I discovered that I had to create one artificial room so I could group two of my Family Room bulbs that weren’t on the same switch as the other 4.

I write this one off the the challenges of multiple home automation systems that all have different views on house divisions.

I don’t understand the rules with groups and rooms. I’d prefer to see all my lights individually, and better yet, grouped by Hue rooms and a UI accordion or something to keep things organized.

Until then, I’m wondering how to make it work as it exists — there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which rooms/ lights form a group within sense. Half of my lights appear to be missing. I’m also not sure why only some lights get a location/ room name listed beneath the light name. I’m also bothered by the fact that my smart switches are auto grouped and assumed to be lights when in reality they may be a fan.

Anyone have any advice? Sense, do you have a bug logged for this yet? Very concerning to me that users have brought this up a while ago.