I'm done with Sense

but it would be awesome if we can flag it not to be automatically deleted unless I am missing something in my few days of use.

This. We can already give Sense negative feedback about its device detection — “This Device is Not On”. We should be able to give Sense positive feedback: “I am Certain that This Device is Reliably Identified.”

1 Like

I had a similar request in this post

Sense will only delete devices if they’re either marked as a guess or not renamed. If you rename a device, it will not be deleted.

I believe that. But that’s not the behavior I’m hoping a “This Device is Reliably Identified” vote would prevent. The problem with missing devices I find is not that they are deleted, but that they eventually go dark, and just stop being detected. So a fridge that never comes on is as good as deleted. If we could tell Sense to really endeavor to continue detecting a given device, and not give up on it… that would be ideal. Just the opposite of “This Device isn’t Really On”…

I have to agree with jdtsmith. If Sense users could input something, such as “Device detection is very reliable”(X% detection rate), “Device is partially reliable” or “Device detection is unreliable” or some feedback to the system or team it would be great. Even something more granular like, “Detection detects only Device initial on but not continuous on” or “Detection only detects on but not off” would at least nudge or feedback to the system or team to look for specific patterns related to these failure.
Psychologically, to me, deleting a device seems like a failure of system and just feeds to a negative impression that the system is not working.

Even if the Machine Learning team may not want to “contaminate” the data such a feedback may be beneficial. It adds an additional layer to crowd sourcing instead of just naming devices.
But what do I know…

There is one instance where this is not completely accurate and I’ve experienced three times now. Sense will take two devices and “Combine” them.
I would ha e “heat 2” and “heat 5”. Sense will notify you that it’s combined the two into one. When this happens, I’ve lost two devices because Sense was wrong. There is not a way to undo this or prevent it.
I think we should make the decision about merging and combining.

1 Like