Known TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug Networking Issues That Affect Sense Integration

The KP125 did not loose connection at 5 days, the only thing I did differently was associate the plug with a different KASA account/ email. The 3 times that it issued the 192.168.0.1 was right after contact with 54.166.93.92:443 (TCP) which is Amazon Technologies Inc. , here is the Arin search results

Full Name-AWS RPKI Management POC
Handle- ARMP-ARIN
Email- aws-rpki-routing-poc@amazon.com
Telephone-+1-206-266-4064
Organization- AWS RPKI Management POC
Address-13200 Woodland Park Dr Herndon Herndon VA 20171 United States
Roles-Routing

I just booted up my new raspberry Pi yesterday that I haven’t loaded anything on it yet. But I’m going to add this kp125 back to my house and if it starts dropping again Ill put wireshark or tshark on my Pi if I need to. I mainly got the raspberry Pi after seeing @kevin1 home assistant build with his thermostats screenshots.

3 Likes

Interesting. FWIW, I have cloud control disabled on all my plugs, and further have a firewall rule blocking them from accessing the internet. I’ve never had any issue with any of my plugs (4x HS300, 6x KP115).

1 Like

Do you just use the sense app to control them?

The Kasa app also has the capability of doing “local only” control of the smart plugs, but that I think is limited to manual ons/offs without any scheduling / timer / away functions that require the cloud.

I have a handful enabled for control, using either Sense or Hubitat. The rest are always on, used solely for Sense power monitoring.

A few of my Smart plugs stopped reporting in Sense. They were still controllable w/ Kasa app, Alexa and still showed accurate power usage in Kasa app.
Power cycling Sense monitor and main router (DHCP server) did not fix issue. Power cycling router/ap that Sense connects to did fix issue.
It appears the router/ap the plugs use played no role as there was a mix of reporting and non reporting plugs connected to each, including the one Sense is connected to.

So I had a power outage and Internet outage at the same time today my Tesla power wall stepped in and there was no loss of power, But during the outage I moved my sense over to my T-Mobile wireless home Internet and since I did that none of my Kasa plugs are not showing up in Sense. Does sense and smart plugs need to be on same wifi?

Short answer: Yes. Same WiFi SSiD required. Has to be on same “subnet”.

Long answer: There are ways around that, but you probably don’t want to go there.

3 Likes

Got the sense cut back over to the original network and plugs are starting to come back. Thank you!

2 Likes

Over the past 2 weeks I have had several of the KP-115 simply stop communicating with the WiFi. Not sure this is same issue as the devices are showing local only in the KASA app. This is really the first time I’ve had issues like this on several units.

One device stopped twice in the last 10 days, but as it was in attic with this heat, I thought this was perhaps an issue. Same with one on my outdoor pool motor.

Then one in my garage stopped. Yet another on my garage door opener continued to work. Still might be heat related.

Then the unit on the washer stopped. That should not be heat related.

Do your devices show in the KASA app when they disappear from Sense?

I’m wondering if heat or the fact I’ve had these about a year (age) are playing a factor?

They all have come back after a reboot (kill the breaker to the circuit for 10 seconds).

I personally haven’t seen many issues with KP115s but when I did see issues with HS110s/HS300s, 90% of the time, the issue did not affect the Kasa app, but occasionally did. In the Kasa app, the issue would manifest itself as a lockup when I tried to push down for detailed power info. My Kasa’s have been pretty reliable for the past few months with only short dropouts along the way.

How hot is hot for these potentially heat related issues ?

Mid 90’s in garage during the day.

Probably around 105-110F in attic where a plug is. Not in hottest part of attic where exhaust fan and temp sensors are.

Pool motor box enclosure is not hit by direct sunlight, but enclosed. I can’t see it getting over 100F there.

Washing Machine in laundry clearly no more than 80F.

1 Like