Leviton smart load center

Well this is somewhat interesting.

2 Likes

well, that would work well, unless the internet connection/modem is on the breaker that popped… lol

1 Like

It would be awfully nice to have circuit-level data feeding into Sense. However, their marketing material makes it look like it’s a full vendor lock-in situation. The smart breakers are non-standard, fitting only into a Leviton panel, or rather “Load Center”. It doesn’t look like there’s any chance of selectively replacing standard breakers in an existing panel to get energy monitoring.

Much more likely that Sense would work with future similar products from Schneider electric ?

1 Like

That makes sense. Now just to wait for such an announcement from Schneider…

Tim McBrayer

Holy cow that’s a beautiful power panel

1 Like

To be fair most panels use vendor specific breakers

Has anyone installed this yet? I’m considering a panel overhaul when I add Solar this summer.

I don’t think this is available yet.

1 Like

Other smart technologies coming to replace mechanical breakers.
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1334775

1 Like

Looking at the latest Leviton Load Center Line Card doc it seems to have been published on May 1st, 2019. Doesn’t appear that the model XXXX-XS (=Smart) breakers are available yet but from what I can tell the Load Center backplanes are (HomeDepot even) and they are compatible with existing non-smart breakers.

@kevin1 I can’t say I fully comprehend what a non-mechanical “breaker” can do when it comes to the airgap equivalent of wired online security. As that article stresses, the complications of life-safety-related tech dictate caution … is it even possible to be cautious when you take what was a mechanical process (flipping a switch manually) and putting it online? (e.g. would you put these on a nuclear power plant cooling pump?)

1 Like

Mechanical switching has a number of issues and hazards as well.

• Arcing when switching on or off - dangerous in environments with flammable components in the air.
  • Much shorter MTBF compared to similar semiconductor switching.
  • Harder to detect failures remotely.

It’s likely that over time, much more mid-high voltage switching will get converted to gallium-nitride and silicon-carbide semiconductors. But a long way to go…

1 Like

I’ll try again …

YES! Totally agree that solid-state control of electrical switching (especially high pole/current/voltage) is the way to go from a technical/safety/notification standpoint. It seems inevitable.

NO!(?) Non-wired control of that solid-state controller is not(?) the way to go in many cases (critical infrastructure etc). Making breakers break safely is one thing but making breakers too easy to manually & remotely (wireless) switch is another. I suppose eventually wireless communications will feel as secure as wired (why not?) but like solid-state breakers we aren’t there yet.

BTW: Case in point on a low-level …

• Put my fridge on a Wemo Insight to view with Sense. Cool.
  • Deactivated the switchability in the Sense interface to avoid inadvertently switching the fridge off. Good.
  • Changed a Hue bulb that was set to light RED if my hot water was ON for more than an hour (IFTTT) to go RED if my fridge was OFF for more than an hour. Backup plan. Excellent!
  • Later … vacuumed around where the Wemo is and managed to switch the fridge off without realizing it.
  • Later … I see Hue bulb is red and think “Oh, I guess my hot water was on for a while because we had showers; did laundry and so on. Fine”. Did nothing.
  • Oops.

Point is: Humans can be pretty stupid sometimes, either inadvertently or deliberately.

2 Likes