Likelihood of Mitsubishi Heat Pump + EV detection with future functionality?

I recently had a Mitsubishi heat pump installed. It has both an air handler for the ductwork, plus two ceiling cassettes to help cool our upstairs.

I’ve watched this thing run in the power monitor, and it seems highly unlikely that any component will be detected. It has variable speed everything and the wattage moves up and down automatically for the fans and compressor as the temperature changes. The air-handler is also always running at a low speed to circulate air in the house, so some of this will get captured in my always-on.

I’m also looking at getting an EV in the next year, but likely not a Tesla/Leaf/Bolt that seem to be able to be detected.

So I’m going from a place where ~80% of my usage was from detected devices (with an assist from Kasa), to probably less than 50% in my future state.

Are there any updates on device detection where I should reasonably expect the EV or heat pump to be detected with new algorithms? Or should lower my expectations on how much usage I can track?

I have a Mitsubishi heat pump with two ducted air handlers. I have been running it for over a year with my Sense monitor and none of it has been detected. I am hoping someday Sense will partner with someone to monitor it like a smart plug. If you aren’t already using the extra Sense clamps, you could monitor it that way. I use the extra clamps for my second panel, and there is no such thing as a third set of clamps. At the moment, I am using 8,000 watts. 7,000 of that is “other”, which is probably 95% the heat pump and air handlers.

I have a Tesla Model 3 that Sense picked up and reads fairly well. The car has it’s own monitor that gives different results, but not crazy different. It’s another case where integration would be nice. I think car charging should be easier for Sense to learn than heat pumps, regardless of the car. I think car charging is a lot less variable.

@andrew.sinclair, @brian.chatagnier,

Sense has finally nailed the native detections for my Model 3 and Model S after a number of years. I believe they have a more generalized infrastructure for recognizing different ramps than they did a few years ago, but EVs need it because each and every ramp is different and can vary even with software releases.

I’m guessing that my Ecobee and the Ecobee Historic Integration to Sense helped find and separate my AC compressors.

I installed an 50 gallon AO Smith heat pump water heater that Sense just cannot seem to recognize. Any thoughts on this device and getting it to show on my Sense?

I’ve basically given up on Sense ever detecting most of my major appliances. I have 3 heat pumps (air conditioning, water heater, clothes dryer) and an induction stove that it can’t identify.

The only thing it’s good for anymore is tracking overall usage and solar production.

I installed an AO Smith one as well.

The heat-pump was detected in 1-2 months.

The backup heating elements took longer, and were discovered in two halves. The first half was discovered a month or so before the second half, when it just started detecting the whole thing.

My only advice would be to run it on hybrid mode instead of efficiency mode for a while. This will trigger the heating elements to kick on more often, which will help detect them.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.