Lutron Caseta Dimmer integration

I now have a couple Lutron Caseta dimmers, with a couple more on the way. It would be cool if they would integrate with Sense to report the usage. In place of supporting every individual dimmer though, would it be possible to get IFTTT support to tell Sense that something turned on or off (or, for dimmers, are at a certain percentage)? I’d expect to have to manually tell it the total wattage attached, but then it should feed into the model like smart plugs or network identification do; Sense is effectively manually told when the on and off events happen and what the wattage is.

Of course, if Caseta were supported directly, that would be even better – I was just brainstorming how to make it useful for a wider audience. If IFTTT could send information to Sense, that would enable all kinds of devices from many manufacturers.

I have Lutron Caseta as well in my home. A switch and dimmer but I have plans for more.

For integration though people may need to have the Smart Bridge Pro, not the regular bridge they sell at retailers like bestbuy. AFAIK the pro version is only available from electrical contractors and suppliers. The difference is that the pro allows third parties to communicate with it via telenet on the local LAN. Users also need to enable telenet communication in the Lutron app.

The standard hub does do integration with third parties but I don’t’ know if they offer a cloud based API that anybody can use. You might need to contact them. Or just use the local interface that the pro provides.

Pro page is here: https://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/ProProducts.aspx The pro bridge supports the caseta retail products plus some special pro products meant more for contractors.

Also I believe they use the same protocol for their RadioRa2 and RadioRA2 select lines which are higher end for larger homes …

Caseta is limited to 50 devices total but people get around that by using two or more hubs so that’s something to consider.

I havea Luton Bridge PRO as well. I think that the integration of this product in to Sense would make a whole lot of Sense if it could be aware of the operation of all the lights in the house. I have about 15 Caseta devices in the house and it would be neat to see lighting be integrated in to Sense this way.

That being said, I have yet to have Sense identify any lighting loads in my house at all.

Our of curiosity, are most of your lighting loads on dimmers? The only lights that have been detected in my home were two of the bathroom vanity lights in two bathrooms. No dimmer and they are incandescent bulbs. So I think a pretty recognizable signature. Almost everything else in the house is on a dimmer, and the few things that aren’t, are all LED had don’t amount to much usage.

Most of the dimmed sources are Lutron RadioRA 2. So hopefully if they can make a Caseta integration, they can tackle RadioRA as well.

The issue I do see with both is that neither system reports actual load. Just on / off and dim status. They made this work with Hue because the Hue system knows the values of each bulb, so it can do the math based on spec (or at least thats my understanding). While they can get on/off data for bulbs, I think without knowing exactly what is on each circuit, it gets tricky fast. The NDI TV detection is a good example of that. They were getting on/off signals from the TV’s, but not true power usage which gave a somewhat false report on how much the TV was using.

Most of my lights are dimmers. Though my garage lights are a bunch of CFLs and LED strips. It’s a large load, I’m surprised it hasn’t seen that load.

The Lutron hub and app knows all the dimming percentages of all the lights, and yes, most of the lights in the house are on Lutron Caseta Dimmers.

I think NDI is only used for data mining and not for device detection. Hopefully the Caseta/RA2 on/off/dim status could provide the same info as NDI.

Not sure how they could integrate it in a user friendly way into the GUI so you can see your energy usage like for Hue. But even if they only use it internally for their own use then it’ll still provide a benefit by helping improve device detection.

(I posted the following on another thread but it seems very applicable here, too.)

It seems to me that, through repeatedly cycling a smart switch on and off, that the standard “full on” load could be determined by the changes measured at the mains CTs. For dimmable switches, if some measure of the amount of dimming applied by the smart switch is provided to Sense, then that correction could then be applied to the known “full on” load. Perhaps this could even be dialed in more exactly by on-off cycling at the dimmed setting.