Making Sense of 'Always On' - Chapter 1 - Different 'Always On' Calculation over Time?

Since I have been on a bender removing hourly datapoints that have some dropout in them, I’ve been able to dig a little deeper into my weird Always On distributions.

Here’s the original data covering 17 months… Remember: blue is hourly data here, red is aggregated daily. The orange dots on the top represent hours where no data was available (a big data dropout).

Same chart with good hourly data points in green, data points subject to data dropout in orange:

Here’s the histogram of all data, including dropouts:

Here’s the histogram of all data, with the dropouts removed. Not much difference except at the low end.

Next I I broke up the timeline into the 5 domains I talked about earlier.

• Original - The original Always On calculation
  • Crazy - A period when the Always On calculation appeared to go crazy
  • Better - the subsequent period when things appeared to get better
  • Smartplug1 - Sense’s first round of adding smart plug data into the Always On calculation. Started with the beta of SmartPlugs
  • Smartplug2 - The approximate time Sense updated the Always On calculation with smart plugs

Each period seems to have its own distribution. Some might even have more !

And here are the histograms for each of those time periods:

smartplug1

smartplug2

Now I have to think about whether any of this has any meaning :slight_smile:

ps: Looks like I may have entered a new domain after Smartplug2, Smartplug3 ! Starting to see smartplug results center around 209W.

1 Like