New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Hi @alansanderson25 - welcome to the Sense community!

Our Support team will be able to assist you past the calibration stage if the issue doesn’t automatically work itself out. There are a variety of things that can happen during solar installation and Support will be able to provide more clarity.

1 Like

I have been using Sense since 2017.

I have been an electronic hobbyist since I was five. I built rockets as a teenager (Estes and then homebrew zinc and sulfur) I learned to program in FORTRAN in 1968. Other stuff after that.

My satisfaction with device identification is low. I am particularly frustrated that we cannot “help” Sense. “Sense! This signature is my air-conditioner compressor. Learn. Fetch!”

My experience with support has been excellent. On the few occasions I needed support I have been given prompt and expert attention.

So, I love the concept.

3 Likes

I just installed the Sense two days ago. So far it’s found my fridge and coffee maker, so not a bad start.

I live in Denver with a sort-of efficient house. It’s well insulated, but it has a lot going on including recirculating hot water, radon fans, a small solar array that I don’t even know the kwh rating of, and lots of random gizmos around.

I’m very curious to see whether my woodshop tools get detected. They get used pretty infrequently, but they draw a lot of power while I’m working.

1 Like

Welcome ! Your question on the home shop is an interesting one. The infrequent usage plays against detection, but most power tools do have big unique signatures, which should help. I don’t really have a shop, but over the past couple years we have had a bunch of work done on our house. When the trades guys were at work, I was almost sure to pick up a detection or two from their stone saw, chop saw or whatever, even if they were only there for a day or two.

1 Like

Is this really necessary?

Not really necessary. Just a good way to get to know others here in the community.

3 Likes

Hey @addohm - not sure if you’ve been part of a similar forum or community for any other topics or products, but there’s typically an unspoken “share what you feel comfortable with” rule. We welcome any level of non-personal identifiable information that folks here would like to provide as it helps build the Community to be a bit more than just a support resource :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

It wouldn’t let me post any new topics so I had no idea if this was some obligatory posting area or what.

1 Like

Day 2 since system was activated and I just got my first device notification (fridge).
I don’t have any smart devices, do have solar (it was the installer that put me on to the Sense system).
I hope to share what I learn about my home’s energy usage and savings with the neighbors in our Virginia suburbs, even while I increase my usage as I electrify our 50-yr-old home. Attic insulation upgrade and Induction cooktop will be next, followed by heat pump hot water heater. (Favorite other appliances are electric pressure cooker and pellet smoker). I am happy to see the carbon intensity collaboration with Carbonara Energy!
It didn’t come up in the quick FAQ browse - what is the suggested use of the page of stickers?

1 Like

Hi I started with Sense because I wanted more data about our house operations as our family moves closer to residential solar power considerations.
I have been using Sense for just a few days, so I’m very happy to see this community where I can learn.
Smart home thoughts: we have relatively few smart home items, as I was wary of being a “too early adopter” for my own time commitments. We are more Apple-centric than Google or Amazon, and I am interested in the Thread and Matter initiatives.
For work I now conduct primary and secondary research into the data and analytics part of the software industry, having worked in that space since 1999.
Barbecue: medium spicy things cooked slow and low.
On Reddit I am PurelyAnalytical, on Twitter I am chrisvonsimson.
What’s next for me: making progress with the electricity billing, gradually identifying devices, and reducing the phantom load.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @chrisvonsimson. Great answer.

1 Like

I am an artist, producer of live arts, and new media researcher. My entire home is connected, using lutron, hue, august, hubitat, MyQ, rooted wink relays, Sonos, Eve, nest, flume, and more, all run through homebridge for phone control and Alexa for voice. I have had sense installed for a few months and love it. Talk too much about it. Today I added the dedicated clamps, to monitor a ductless unit that would never be found by sense. Love them, but joined today to share that my second dedicated circuit monitor is tracking a circuit that has hue bulbs on it. I can’t find a way to tell sense that there are hue bulbs (specifically those hue bulbs) on that circuit. I can tell sense that items it has discovered are on that circuit, but not the hues! So whenever the hues turn on, they are double counted. Help! I’m thankful for this community and excited to join.

1 Like

Hi, @andypanda. Welcome to the Community!

You can only supersede a Sense-detected device with a dedicated circuit sensor. The feature was designed to monitor a single 240V load and not a branch with multiple devices.

Welcome! I’d love to hear more about your background. In another life, I was doing work in new media research (particularly in the construction of immersive gaming spaces and sound design as well as HCI for digital/hybrid musical instruments). Sounds like we have some things in common!

Hello guys, i am a recent sense user, I have almost 1 month using it, i am also a hardware developer, so, I already created a little device to send sense the wattage consumed

3 Likes

Hey. I’m Nik. I’ve had my sense for nearly a year now. Running into a few issues with dedicated circuit monitoring. Any pros out there?

Welcome Nik, no DCM pros here, but certainly post your questions as a new topic, under the Technical Questions category.

1 Like

Hi! New user here, just installed last week.
My Sense (Wiser edition), was included as a bonus with my solar installation!
Looking forward to seeing the data I can get!

2 Likes

Long time user, but joining the forum to try to diagnose my power quality issues.

Welcome, @mckinleykevin, we’re glad you joined us! I just upgraded your account permissions so you should be able to add a new Sense Labs Power Quality post. You can check out some more information about the Power Quality feature here.