Official API

Well, I was ready to leave sense because I just out grew the data it was providing to me… I needed/wanted more detail, and to view it in different views, I wanted to share some info publicly, i wanted to use multiple Sense devices within one single pane of glass management/reporting/dashboard, i wanted more exact to the penny readings, I wanted an actual usable value for “powered by solar” based on the window i select (hour, day, week, month, bill etc), or at least a documented API so I can get this advanced info on my own!? and sense doesn’t do any of this! I found a few other meters out there that did more but not all, but I DO like sense hardware, wish they had more developers actively interacting on the forums, but i like sense as a company right now.

I’m a splunk enterprise user so being able to get this stuff in splunk and do all of the things i mentioned above on my own would be easy and a WIN for sense, if only they shared their API (sense there is nothing top secret in your data, its your processing that holds your secret sauce) but they do not have a public API. So after reading through multiple very helpful forum posts particularly this one:

I was able to use the undocumented sense API (which they don’t support, or approve of us using evidently) to pull 5 second data into my own splunk server. Now all of my previous “feature requests” can be done on my own!:

Just doing some testing and starting to build dashboards in splunk… I’m excited to be able to stay with sense… Please sense peeps, quit hording your api… lol.

2 Likes