Official API

You aren’t upsetting me and I don’t work for Sense. Your point is well taken that this is really a reverse engineered API that is tacitly and indirectly supported by Sense (they have done a couple things to support the users who put it up on GitHub). I put this in the same category as the TP-Link API which is a proprietary supported API for a limited set of developers (like Sense), but has also been reverse engineered and is published on GitHub. One example here:

On the flip side, I have been on the software marketing and project management side, and many of the things you suggest are no cost, are really quite expensive (docs, support, R&D time to support that intern, backward compatibility), and you also miss one of the biggest costs, opportunity cost. Every investment in time in something other than the core product, is time taken away from the next important thing to be added to the core product. For your usage model, maybe the API is a core feature, but not likely for the mass market.

Bottom line - As a Sense enthusiast, I’m glad you have found enough capability in the informal API to keep you going. And as a guy who wants everyone in this community to succeed, I support your request, and have also “liked” the original wishlist entry. The only heartburn I have comes from my previous life on the SW side, where customers treated what they believe to be their “simple” requests as “nearly free”. It’s never “nearly free” and whatever it is, it always requires more support than that customer can imagine.

3 Likes