Plasma Televisions

I have four plasma TVs in use around my house. Three are on quite often. I notice when they are on, their energy usage is all over the place depending on brightness of the images on the screen. Sense shows + and - power usage constantly while the plasmas are on.

How does this constantly and rapidly changing power usage affect Sense’s ability to learn and understand other devices in my home?

3 Likes

[quote=“KHouse75, post:1, topic:519”]
How does this constantly and rapidly changing power usage affect Sense’s ability to learn and understand other devices in my home?[/quote]
My thoughts are that Sense can potentially detect the signature of a device turning on, and the changing power usage would be ignored. Other devices’ signatures would still be present to detect.

But I also believe that it won’t be able (in most cases) be able to track the varying amounts parts, and Sense most likely just assigns a fixed value of power usage to the device. Any amount that varies from that value would end up in the “unknown” group.

2 Likes

With all the data that Sense collects(4 million a second), Sense should be able to keep up with the changing power usage. I sometimes see it keeping up with my Gas dryer and Dishwasher before losing the frequency.

I think this is the pump on my dishwasher. The heating element is tracked separately.