Provide time series view where multiple device loads can be overlaid

Problem: After devices are “learned” Sense owners need to determine what real-world devices they map to. One way to do that for devices is using a time series approach/view.

For example, if we know that real-world appliance A (say, a dryer) was on from 3pm to 6pm today, being able to view the set of learned devices (say, three learned devices that Sense thinks are all dryers) during the time we know the dryer was on helps validate or invalidate Sense’s determination. If any or all of them are active inside the time window, but not outside, that counts as evidence validating the match. If any or all of them are inactive inside the time window, that counts as evidence invalidating the match (obviously confidence goes up as multiple observations are recorded). The negative case is also useful, when a learned device shows active load when we know that the real-world device is powered off.

In our example, it would be useful to be able to add and remove multiple learned devices to/from a time series view to see how they line up with our ground truth knowledge of what devices were actually running or not running at that time. A follow-on requirement to this would be the ability to make some kind of notes on learned devices to note what has been learned.

For example, if I’ve been able to prove that a specific learned device is not the furnace, the fridge, the dehumidifier, etc. using time series or any other method, there should be a way to record and remember that on the learned device in the Sense apps.

4 Likes

@brianmur, This capability still isn’t in the product, but using open source Home Assistant offers a great workaround, along with the ability to merge the data from multiple Senses and even overlay devices detected by separate Senses. I’m doing that to leverage DCM on my second Sense. Examples below. As I said, the DCM data for my Model 3 and Floor Heater subpanel are coming form my second Sense. All the rest from my main Sense monitor. I can see that Sense missed much of my Model 3 charge last night.

1 Like

Does HA plot the data on the same chart, and/or is their the option to physically add the numbers from the HA sensors. Also, how are you setting up the HA cards to get two things displayed?

I’m a newbie, so I’m just experimenting right now, but I’m able to mix data from different entities / devices in different Dashboard Cards. I’m using the HA GUI to edit the configs for each card. Here’s what the two cards above look like from a config perspective.

1 Like

BTW - The other nice thing is the ability to juxtapose energy info from two different sources. Examples below - Ecobee temperature and heating cycles juxtaposed with Sense energy usage. In this case Sense is only seeing the furnace air handlers since they are both gas furnaces. And the register temperature are from the inside of the register closest to each furnace.

One can see a bunch of interesting things in this springtime daily heating cycle:

• My upstairs register is in the attic, so it heats up during the day. My downstairs register is in the crawlspace so it stays cool throughout the day, except when heating. Running the furnace heats the air in the register by about 30 degrees over the ambient when it is running (60 to 90, and 70 to 100 degrees)
  • My downstairs furnace does a heavy lift every morning for a couple hours. The upstairs heating does a few short spurts of heating.
  • I have the auto fan function turned on downstairs so the fan comes on for 5 min every hour, even if the heat/cool does not. Not turned on upstairs.

ps: I’m still working with how to visualize the downstairs floor heating mixed in. HA provides too much data for each of those.

1 Like

I like the juxtapose idea. Will be useful as we come into A/C season

1 Like