Samsung refrigerator detection

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208067-REG/tp_link_hs110_wi_fi_smart_plug.html

The Sense team is looking into it.

I canā€™t say much more than that. :slight_smile:

See this thread for more details:

https://community.sense.com/t/support-for-tp-link-hs300-power-strip/4118/11

With 6 separately controlled and monitored outlets, itā€™s almost ideal for entertainment centers, computer offices, etcā€¦none of which Sense seems able to detect anyway. So, two of these would eliminate most of my ā€œalways onā€ balloon.

Hopefully it wonā€™t be too hard for them to add support, because they already have TP-Link connectivity.

Yeah i looked at that thread already and that was my post that you copied. I already set up one of the plugs in my wifeā€™s craft room and keeping my fingers crossed that sense will be able to add this to the device list. My first impression with the power strip so far is its pretty awesome and is by far the best power strip i have ever owned. super happy with it.

2 Likes

They are pretty cool, and I do really like TP-Link hardware in general. I just wish the HS300ā€™s werenā€™t so expensive.

With 6 separately controlled/monitored outlets, thatā€™s 2/3 the best available cost of Hs110s. So, while $29.95 would be more compelling, itā€™s still cheaper.

Of course, if Sense met its marketing claims, all this would not be necessary.

1 Like

Andy, you know very well that Sense doesnā€™t claim that it will detect every single device. To the contrary, they are very upfront about the fact that there are things it wonā€™t. Quoting the ā€œTechnologyā€ page at sense.comā€¦

Always learning
There are many devices Sense canā€™t yet detect, but as the Sense community grows, the machine learning algorithms gather more data. And with more data, Sense will start to identify new devices, so your Sense will just keep getting smarter

I even just checked the Wayback Machine and since the very beginning theyā€™ve been upfront about that.

So lets move on vs continuing to beat this dead horseā€¦shall we?

Itā€™s hardly beating a dead horse. I agree with @andy as Iā€™ve expressed many times.
We all the defensiveness?
I think heā€™s just expressing they may need to make marketing changes, not that there is a problem with the product.
The screenshot from there website shows things like
Sump pump
Kitchen lights
Garage door.
I have two garage door openers
18 total kitchen lights
And two pumps
None detected
And I do t think Andy implies anything about expecting all devices being detected.
By the way here is a screenshot from today, not two years back
My iron also hasnā€™t been detected.

1 Like

If I sound like I am complaining I am not complaining and I am just bringing up little frustrations that I am having but over all I am actually having fun trying to figure out the power usage in my house and playing Sherlock Holmes when I have to track down a new device. I do think that if the sense team adds the HS300 to the list of other devices that they support then we will start to see more smaller devices getting recognized by sense. I am actually so impressed with these HS300ā€™s that I plan on adding four more of them to my house by the end of the year.

1 Like

Could you explain how adding the HS300 would improve detection? Iā€™m thinking Iā€™m doing something wrong now as I thought that sense didnā€™t even try to detect a device plugged into a smart plug.

Well I figured out what it was. I forgot that I set my ecobee3 to run the fan for a minimum of 5 minutes per hour and thatā€™s what was running. I was confused though because i was seeing the heat turn on only a few minutes after the fan turned off and thought there was no way the heat was turning on twice in one hour.

2 Likes

I mean it would help improve detection once sense adds it to their device list that they support. The HS300 measures the power usage of each plug separately and is like having 6 HS110ā€™s on one plug.

Andy has a lot of history here you may not be familiar with.

His repeated suggestions with regards to mentioning the marketing claims are that Sense promises every single device in your house will be detected, and anything less constitutes a failure of the product.

That is not what has ever been claimed. Ever. So yes, respectfully, he continues to beat a dead horse with his claims that are misleading, and to those who disagree that sense has ever misled anyone with such a guarantee, yes, that does get a little tiresome.

Iā€™m a Sense user myself (and no, Iā€™m not a Sense employee) - I too have some devices that remain undetected myself, at least one of two of which are bothersome to me as well, but I actually read the marketing before buying the product and understand that I may never see 100% detection - Iā€™m at about 90% of my devices in my house being detected right now, so Iā€™m mostly cool with that - and I too will likely see more detections in the future. I understood what I was buying.

Yourself Sam, as weā€™ve covered many times, are still early in your detection cycle as a Sense user. You stand to have many more detections in the future including the things you mention as still missing.

Are there guarantees that every single device in your house will be detected?

No. There never was such a claim to begin with.

But the product is, as IS clearly mentioned in itā€™s marketing, always improving - the recent addition of EV support is a perfect example thereof as just one point of improvement. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Smartplugs do feed ā€œGround Truthā€ data back to Sense. This data can then be used as a model for the Sense team to be able to build better detection around certain traditionally difficult devices.

For example, I use an HS110 on my LG Inverter Refrigerator - a device that Sense is known to have issues with due to the highly variable nature of how an inverter compressor operates. Every time my fridge cycles it gives ā€œGround truthā€ data back to the Sense team to look at.

They have indicated that eventually this info will be put to good use to hopefully make these sorts of devices detectable without the need for a smartplug in the future.

1 Like

I see what you mean, each individual receptacle can be named. That would be nice for the things I feel are going to take forever to be detected or not at all. I think we orooall have things that done matter to us if they are ever detected but would still like to get an idea of their use.

I apologize @oshawapilot, you are correct that I donā€™t know the full history and should have done my homework with regards to his past comments. I guess it resembles things Iā€™ve said and how I felt my comments had been handled. I canā€™t speak for Andy but I know one way to shut me up is to give a little validation to the issues. Not necessarily agree but see how we could could could come to the conclusions we have about product experiences based on what the website led is to believe. What the best way to put it to rest? I think some get scared away.
When Iā€™m reading here and see someone say something negative,
Correct again stating Sense does not claim to detect everything, it does not. There is some disappointment and dissatisfaction with real world versus the website. Overall Iā€™m personally not dissatisfied and did t feel Andy was either.
Iā€™m not at all disappointed with how many devices Iā€™ve had detected. I think Iā€™ve had about 27 with 21 active currently. Iā€™ve deleted the wild ones but thatā€™s a very low percentage overall. One month and a couple days is very early, I agree.
I was just wondering if you were somehow employed, an investor or collaborator with the product so thank you for answering that.
As always, I appreciate your response
We may disagree on some things but
They are minor.
(Your response liked and bookmarked to remind me not to beat that dead horse)

Good news, so itā€™s basically just your HVAC blower motor? Has it not been detected yet? Just curious as you mention seeing your heat turning on afterwards.

Two notes: I have my Ecobee set to run my furnace fan for a minimum of 5 minutes every hour. This cyclical usage pattern of a typically easy to detect device (an induction motor load) caused it to be amongst the first few devices my Sense picked up at about week 1 or 2, so it should get detected soon if it hasnā€™t already.

Specific to the heat coming on after a fan cycle, this can happen if the temp in your house was already close to triggering the heat anyways - the air movement from the fan cycle can often be just enough to push the temp down just that little bit more to trigger the heat. I see it happen myself through the night when my furnace is in setback and the temp was slowly falling back towards the overnight setpoint. :slight_smile:

All cool.

Like I said, Sense isnā€™t all butterflies and rainbows for me either. I found my coffee maker being sensed as my Dishwasher this morning. My Instant Pot does the same thing occasionally. I used the ā€œDevice is not onā€ button to help my Sense learn from itā€™s mistake, and moved on. Then I made toast and wondered why it hasnā€™t yet picked up my toaster yet either. :wink:

But again, if Sense never manages to get my house 100%, I will accept that and still feel that at the end of the dayā€¦I still have an awesome cool piece of tech that still does a lot of cool stuff. And most importantly, I know itā€™s always learning - these small things probably will sort themselves out.

I always try to look at things in the ā€œGrand Schemeā€ vs sweating the small stuff. The fact that a few hundred watts of my coffee maker usage this morning got attributed to my dishwasher didnā€™t ruin my weekend. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to all of you, my view and expectations have largely changed. I guess you could say ā€œIā€™m coming aroundā€ to the way of thinking thatā€™s needed to enjoy it.
If you could see my ā€œbubblesā€, sense is the biggest for the last month (much to the wifeā€™s disappointment).

In particular, weā€™ve learned that Sense canā€™t detect things that are steady state. So HS110ā€™s (and HS300 once supported) provide Sense the ability to monitor those loads that it wonā€™t ever detect otherwise. It doesnā€™t help the ā€œlearningā€ but does make Sense reporting more valuable to those trying to create a more efficient home.

Weā€™ve also learned that Sense canā€™t detect things that have signatures that vary by load, or things that have lengthy ramp up/down processes. Some of those are significant loads on our power systems, so smart plugs and smart 220v power line modules (if/when those become available) also improve the reporting.

1 Like