Saved $69 on first bill after Sense

In Maryland, my electric rate averages around 12.5 cents/kWh.

Last bill my natural gas was $1.08/therm (I haven’t been tracking natural gas to easily calculate an average).

How did you calculate the rest?

1 US therm = 29.3 kWh (e.g. https://www.metric-conversions.org/energy-and-power/therms-us-to-kilowatt-hours.htm)

So you pay $1.08 / 29.3 = 3.7 c / kWh of gas

So that’s 3.4 times more per unit energy for gas than electric for you, so not as high as the 5.8 factor for me in Colorado. Our electricity prices are similar, but we only pay $0.6 per therm. I gather all the gas production in Colorado makes it cheaper.

Technically electricity is 100% efficient while a gas furnace or water heater is 85-95% depending on the details, so that reduces the difference a little bit for heating applications.

2 Likes

In Kentucky
Has $7.16 MCF 1 MCF =102,000 btu’s
102,000 btu/ 3400 =30 KWH 1 kWh=3400 btu
102,000 btu/21,500=4.74 lb lpg 1lb=21,500 btu
kWh 39x .085=$2.55
Natural gas =$7.16
LPG 4.74 x 1.99 =$9.33
If I have this correct then electric is cheapest, followed by mat gas and propane last for my area.
The electricity only applies for resistance heat, not for something like a heat pump compressor which would be lower.
The one thing I can say is the heat from either has has a different feel than electric and seems to hold in the air much longer because it’s not reducing the humidity like electric resistance heat does.

Our gas water heater is pretty old, so I question it’s current efficiency but I haven’t afforded replacing it yet. I’m also not sure how to calculate ROI to decide if it’s worth replacing.

1 Like

I was in construction many years with several in “Restoration” work. That entailed things like insurance jobs for water damage. At the top of the list, gas water heaters for being the failed fixture. Electric not so much. I can tell you without a doubt that if your water heater is older than 12 years, the ROI you won’t care about when your paying a deductible and living with weeks or months of nightmare and the loss of irreplaceable items.
10 years ago and before heater were colored white or gray. White was 6 year tank warranty and white was 12. They’ve changed things now and started making gray in 9 year models and I think some of it is trickery to make the buyer feel they get more. They usually last double their warranty at best for the 6 and 15 years on the 12’3.
If I were you I would upgrade and get an ROI Worthwhile by buying a hybrid. Vaughn has some with lifetime warranties now but they also some of the best insulation in the industry on the stone lines tanks. If I had to do it over again and was going to use a tank, not on demand, this is the way I would go.
You also have the option for on demand gas fired. I think it’s a toss up efficiency wise between the two

2 Likes

Keep in mind that a unit of energy produces a different number of btu’s according to the fuel.