Setup in Australia

Warning : Electrical contractor required.

Ok, I have my Sense now working and the readings for both solar and power match the Inverter and Meter. The setup was a bit different to the booklet. In Australia, most households run on a single phase 240vAC 50Hz mains.

To connect the Sense to a breaker and to have the antenna externally installed you do require a licenced electrical contractor, not to be done yourself.

From the Sense unit- connect :-

• The White wire to the neutral bus bar (if you have a ELP) ensuring it is the same one for the breaker.
  • The Red and Black to a single breaker.
  • One of the Power sensors (clamps) over the incoming Mains power (RED) - do not connect the other.
  • One of the Solar sensors (clamps) over the Solar power (RED) - do not connect the other.

Complete the setup, I hope this helps.

1 Like

I live in the Philippines (240V single phase, 60 Hz) and have been thinking of getting a Sense for my house here. I had a discussion with Sense tech support some time ago and they told me the same thing, only use one probe. I have one for my house in the US and I connected it myself and it’s still working. But when I was about to buy a new one for here, I noticed something that I had forgotten from when I installed the first one - the neutral wire.

So I did a little research and came to the conclusion it can’t be used here. The Sense specs say it runs off 120VAC. So I was thinking the Sense powers itself from the 120V between the neutral and one of the line wires. The other line wire is just for monitoring the other phase. I read that somewhere in these forum posts. And it must be true. If the Sense were drawing its power over the two line wires, and you have yours tied together, then your Sense wouldn’t be getting power.

The way you connected yours, you would be powering the Sense with 240V. That might work if the Sense is really rated for 120/240V but they don’t tell us. If not, it might last for a while but go bad sooner or later. I had a power supply that I set for 120V (accidentally) and plugged into 240V. It worked for 5 or 10 minutes, then smoked. I also had a 120V LCD monitor power supply that someone plugged into 240V while I was away and it worked for several weeks until I got home and unplugged it. So who knows.

Is yours still okay? Do you find the time drifting because of the 50Hz instead of 60Hz? Sense tech support said that would happen. I can’t find that old discussion but if I do later I’ll post it.

1 Like

The other discussion I mentioned is here at this link: https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/requests/313462

I hope you will be able to see it, as it is under Help instead of Community.