Submetering 220V devices

I don’t disagree with your decision here @steve but before we let this topic go … and no-doubt return to it elsewhere very soon! … a couple of notes you may be interested in:

• @kevin1 & I seem to have been going down the rabbit hole of looking at issues of using more & more smartplugs with Sense. At some point you can max-out Sense’s processing ability.

• A smartplug or CT-based external circuit monitor (like Sense) is still feeding data to Sense and taxing the processor. At some point your Sense system may need more processing grunt to keep up. Sense could elect to down-sample to reduce the data burden coming from the plug but that requires processing too! Mileage will vary … if you just have a few smartplugs, Sense will be able to reliably deal with the data. My theory is that over the next “while” complete & accurate electrical device disaggregation will be seen in the same way as driverless vehicles, that is: It’s a really really hard problem! In the meantime more people with resort to smartplugs and Sense will mutate somewhat (as it has already) to bias core functionality to deal with that … and get to the Goal, perhaps, sooner. The more data, in the right form, the better.

2 Likes