The King of Always On

I have the email report but it isn’t going to be accurate because my internet was down a couple days last month.

Always On statistics are a total failure in my opinion. I know for a fact that mine are not as high as it shows me most of the time. I proved it with testing in my home several times now.
And the explanations I’ve been given by Sense don’t completely align with why this happens.
At this point I’d like to be able to remove Always On completely

1 Like

I want it removed from the calculations. Another idea would be something like minimum usage yesterday or something like that. what was the lowest reported wattage yesterday. and it not be a part of the calculation (excluding power outtages).

sure there will be times when that would be inaccurate because of playing around with the breakers and so forth. but most of don’t fool around like that on a daily basis. I think Always On, minimum usage, etc. have a usefulness. but I don’t think their true usefulness is being taken advantage of.

and the one useful purpose I can think of for it, is to alert us that something is off. Rather than reporting a number and saying this is your always on usage, and therefore your other usage is negative, it ought to just alert us and say something like:

“Hey Gramps! I’ve noticed you’re using more power today (or yesterday) than usual. Have you made any changes to your usage habits or forgot to shut something off?”
because back in January or February (and I posted my story to get a chance at free smart plugs :slight_smile:) I had forgotten to turn off the attic fan and 3 days later I opened the app and was astonished that I was at 150-200W, and began hunting for the hog.

and if the usage drops significantly, how about a notification for that too?

“Hey Gramps! You’re using less power than usual. Have you made any changes or you might want to go check the breaker box and make sure nothings flipped?”

or that everything is running like it should. A notification to warn us that, if we haven’t made deliberate changes, we should look into our usage more closely and then maybe check around the house and yard to make sure that nothing is wrong. This is the only real application I can think of. And it should not be used in calculating the “Other” bubble.

2 Likes

Always on:
Dec: 228
Jan: 261
Feb: 170
March 125

I slipped backwards on the always on a little but solar was more than usage for first time! Of our 950 kwh 402 was the Tesla, love that showing up correctly now!

Usage History: I’m within the lower 10% of energy utilization in both Average Watts and Always On, compared to Sense users, within the state of Ohio .

Standard Smart Home: Ranch with full basement (3k sqft living space), built April 2016, 3 bedroom, 3 baths. Gas appliances (Furnace, Water Heater, Oven, Dryer)

Primary Occupants: 2-Adults (Husband & non-working Spouse)

Sense Installation Date: January 2, 2018

1. Jan 2019 - (Average 692 watts) (Always On 163 watts)
  2. Feb 2019 - (Average 521 watts) (Always On 101 watts)
  3. Mar 2019 - (Average 471 watts) (Always On 95 watts)
  4. Apr 2019 - (Average 397 watts) (Always On 98 watts)
  5. May 2019 - (Average 382 watts) (Always On 100 watts)

2 Likes

I just took the crown. The New King of Always On

2 Likes

Your Always On of 25 watts is something for me to reach for… Congratulations on a job well-done!!

2 Likes

Thank you! Let me know when you reach it!

Usage History: I’m within the lower 10% in both Average Watts and Always On , compared to Sense users, within the state of Ohio .

Standard Smart Home: Ranch with full basement (3k sqft living space), built April 2016, 3 bedroom, 3 baths. Gas appliances (Furnace, Water Heater, Oven, Dryer)

1. Jan 2019 - ( Average 692 watts) ( Always On 163 watts)
  2. Feb 2019 - ( Average 521 watts) ( Always On 101 watts)
  3. Mar 2019 - ( Average 471 watts) ( Always On 95 watts)
  4. Apr 2019 - ( Average 397 watts) ( Always On 98 watts)
  5. May 2019 - ( Average 382 watts) ( Always On 100 watts)
  6. Jun 2019 - ( Average 387 watts) ( Always On 97 watts)

3 Likes

2 Likes

Went up quite a bit from June! Running the AC more?

July’s notable energy increase is obviously due to my non-stop Air Conditioning usage! Comfort is truly important and home automation allowed its efficient use. For now, I’m maintaining low usage, compared to others in my state.

Here is a listing of the top energy consumers, accounting for 87.4% of the total usage:

1. (39.1%) - Air Conditioning
  2. (36.8%) - Other
  3. (11.5%) - Always On
3 Likes

#scoreboard

That’s fantastic! I’m curious what your approach was to find the “vampire” draws around your house. Did you literally go room-to-room, look at the power outlets and unplug what wasn’t needed? What were your sneakiest and most surprising power drains?

Thanks!

1 Like

I actually wrote a blog recently with some pretty thorough steps to do this: https://blog.sense.com/dive-deeper-into-your-always-on-load/

1 Like

Usage History: I’m within the lower 10% in both Average Watts and Always On , compared to Sense users, within the state of Ohio .

1. Jan 2019 - (Average 692 watts) (Always On 163 watts)
  2. Feb 2019 - (Average 521 watts) (Always On 101 watts)
  3. Mar 2019 - (Average 471 watts) (Always On 95 watts)
  4. Apr 2019 - (Average 397 watts) (Always On 98 watts)
  5. May 2019 - (Average 382 watts) (Always On 100 watts)
  6. Jun 2019 - (Average 387 watts) (Always On 97 watts)
  7. Jul 2019 - (Average 999 watts) (Always On 115 watts)
  8. Aug 2019 - (Average 706 watts) (Always On 97 watts)

Number of Found Devices: 16 (Removed 3 devices that were no longer detected)

2 Likes

Are you using an HVAC system of any kind?
I don’t know how it would be that low unless using windows to regulate temperature.
There is something wonky about the average and total usage on yours, the numbers don’t add up.
If using an average of 706 watts then the total should be 508KWH.

My HVAC info is provided below… I’d like to address the potential “wonky”! Sense is my absolute favorite Smart Home Device and I’d like to see any suggestions to better ensure things are working as intended. I’m open to all suggestions!!

------------------------------
HVAC: Goodman
Model: GMSS920402BN

My centralized heating, ventilation and air conditioning system operates in a dual-zone configuration - split between the main floor and basement areas. During the cooling season, the basement zone rarely engages - since warm air rises to the main floor. Prior to turning off the A/C unit on September 1st, the main floor zone thermostat was set as follows and the basement zone 2-degrees warmer:

06:00am - 72
06:00pm - 71
10:00pm - 70
11:45pm - 69

My always on, wondering if it’ll drop the more devices it can identify. Hoping! Seems kinda high.

Always On won’t really change with more detections. I did this diagram to help explain Always On vs. the variable / transitions usage of the devices in your house. Bottom line is that the only detections that will remove some of the Always On are detections via smartplugs because smartplugs can “see” both the Always On and the variable part of device usage. A standard Sense detection only “sees” the big transitions, not the stable Always On usage.

16%20PM

BTW - Your Always On is a little high…

2 Likes

yeah i was hoping for more insight as to what my always on is through sense. really need to figure out what all my usage is going to. we do have 2 fridge freezers and 3 tvs (those are always on stand by through the day) and a dvr. Perhaps the extra fridge fridge freezer could account for the 200? But then it wouldnt be counted as always on…sooo bit of a loss at the moment.