TP-Link KP115 Disconnecting - Community Experiment?

Next iteration ! A power cycle of my Sense monitor caused both the errant HS300s to reconnect, so all those outlets are back online reporting data. I also made 3 cosmetic changes to my charting.

1. I removed the 3 smarplugs that I toggle on and off from the Sense app and the Kasa app manually. They were showing as disconnected, when they were really functioning correctly but just off. I suspect that’s because the smartplugs don’t report back to the “emeter” command when they are in off mode, even though they are responsive to other TP-Link commands.

2. I also added the responses of the overall Sense meter itself. There were 9 missing hours in 2020 when either my Sense monitor or network was out, where Sense did not log any data at all (missing hours in the exported data). This is important since it lets me differentiate between the Sense Monitor being the issue vs. smartplug/Sense communication.

3. I have shortened my charting period to just 2021, just to simplify my identification fo current issues.

Given the “reliability” chart above, I’m going to look at 2 things:

1. The weird disconnect behaviors of my Sony TV and my Washing Machine smartplugs. The Sony TV is especially weird because it is part of a shared HS300 (or so I thought), yet it appears to disconnect when all the other outlets are still connected.

2. The short outage in virtually all smartplugs around 2-3 in the morning on Jan. 7th. I added the Sense Monitor to the chart to see if this issue corresponded to a total outage of the Monitor, but the answer is no.

Heres’ a closer view on item 1. I included the Sense monitor, plus a companion outlet on the same HS300 as the Sony TV, to see if any patterns emerge. Pretty clear that one shared HS300 outage in November is reflected in both the Sony TV and the Apple TV. Other than that, it looks like the Sony TV outlet on the HS300 is intermittent in responding to Sense. It also looks like there is some commonality in Dec connection issue between the separate Sony TV outlet and the Washing Machine HS110, while not affecting Apple TV out let on the same HS300 as the Sony TV. Officially weird !

And here’s a time closeup on that mass disconnect on Jan 7. It looks very consistent, from the 2AM hour through the 3AM hour for all seemingly connected smartplugs.

Here’s a close look at that period of time in the main Power Meter. It looks like my Sense monitor did indeed get disconnected for a couple short periods of time with some data dropouts, around 1:45AM and around 3:57 AM. But never for a complete hour, hence no data export dropout for the entire hour.

1 Like