What's new in v23 and Web App v5.5: Smarts Plugs and Themes

@MachoDrone, @mstraka606,
Oddly, there actually is a standard for energy management that is baked into some appliances to make them Smartgrid-ready: ANSI/CEA2045 and the USNAP alliance.

https://www.usnap.org/technical-overview

I actually have some Subzero fridges that implement this standard. But quite honestly, it’s a bust for end-users for two reasons:

1. It is set up for the grid side and demand response, so all the access and hardware is designed for low bandwidth and clunky utility communication.

2. Even though my appliances include the interface, they don’t have built-in communication, so you have to buy an add-on card for 50 bucks, plus then it can only communicate with a specialized hub that is designed to communicate with the utilities.

Sometimes an ill-defined standard with poor commercial adoption, is worse than none at all. I’m guessing that this standard has derailed more customer-facing efforts at appliance makers.

I also have friends who have developer IoT connections to major appliances at companies like Arrayant and Ayla Networks, but those are all appliance maker proprietary and only in high end models.