What's new in v26 and Web App v7: Always On Stats

Is the TP-LINK HS105P3 not supported? It is significantly cheaper than the other smart plugs.

1 Like

That Always On breakdown will only work with devices on smart plugs, for now.

Welcome to the community @family

The only T P Link smart plugs that I’m aware are supported right now are the HS110 and the HS300. These have “energy monitoring”.
The plug you mentioned does not have this feature.
If you find yourself in the market for a compatible plug, Walmart has the HS110’s for $15.99 which is actually cheaper than Amazon for the HS105P3

1 Like

$15 at Walmart. Sold! Thank you so much. =)

Order 3 and shipping is free
Only available online where I live
Better yet, here is a link for cheap HS300
At $52.99

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjBm-moxdXhAhXMVg0KHdnpDJ0YABABGgJxYg&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoN3SBYiW9NodjW6pF66FiU0w&sig=AOD64_3fYoTVf_Hrmp9Oi_NSG2uAuF0lNQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi3jeSoxdXhAhWBVt8KHb2TCMgQwg96BAgJEAc&adurl=https://atlanticsshop.com/product/tp-link-hs300-kasa-smart-wi-fi-power-strip

I’m also seeing that several of my smart plugs that do have always on devices plugged into them are not showing up under the new feature.
They will still have “idle” showing on the device page but are still on their own line instead of grouped into “always on”

Keep in mind that just because you think someone is an Always On device, doesn’t necessarily mean it truly is consuming some baseline wattage constantly. I thought the same for certain things in my home, but the Power Meter showed differently.

Have you verified that it is with the Power Meter or some other measurement tool?

Given what you reported in the other thread about AO numbers being off, I’m inclined to think that Wi-Fi issues are causing problems with your AO calculation. I know you were dealing with Wi-Fi issues in the past, so that doesn’t seem too offbase…but that’s not something I can verify. You’d have to keep working with Support on that.

My Always on has been dramatically increasing the past month. I don’t believe this data. Any ideas?

Do you have any smart plugs as a part of the Always on? I know that when my Always On start creeping up the teenagers in the house have left fans and lights on all day/night.

Yes on the smart plugs. As you see they only add up to a few W. Something is systematically being measured but not reported in this view.

I’ve had the same problems for longer than the new version has been out. Sometimes mine will increase 200-300 watts one day and then back down the next to around 450. The 450 is way too high to begin with.
I reported to support

Thanks for this feedback. Agreed. My AO goes between 95-400+. Obviously after 2 years of collecting data something still is not right with this algorithm.

1 Like

I wonder why the AO estimate isn’t better than what we see.
I’ve read their explanation about how they arrive at the shown calculations but it just doesn’t tell enough of the story in my opinion.
I’d like to know in enough detail that I can reproduce their calculation closer.
I know what mine should be

1 Like

That breakdown will only report the AO devices/components of those devices that are on smart plugs. Thus, in most homes there will be a pretty large gap between the sum of the smart plugs and your total AO figure.

@samwooly1
The complete calculation is linked above.

What more would you like to know?

1 Like

An easy question for @RyanAtSense which is not clear to me from this discussion (sorry if I missed it). Below are my bubbles right now. Are the Always on components of the fridge (2 W) and Modem Router (6 W) also part of the 134 W of Always ON? Or do I need to calculate my REAL always on as 134 + 2 + 6 = 142 W?

2 Likes

Those are included as part of the Always On calculation that is displayed in the bubble. If you go to the Always On view, you’ll see them listed as “Always On Devices.”

1 Like

Thanks. Just to make sure I understand: now my Modem_Router Always On power went to 15 W (which is the correct value, not sure why it was showing 6 yesterday). And that bubble has disappeared. That means that devices that whose wattage is 100% always on, will disappear from the bubble view and be subsumed into the Always On bubble, EVEN if they are into smart plugs. Correct?

(Not complaining or requesting a change. Just trying to understand because I’ve been pretty confused trying to figure out my Always On usage)

1 Like

Well, at this time, the only devices that will be subsumed under the Always On bubble and thus shown as Always On Devices are smart plug devices. However if, for whatever reason, they start drawing more than their Always On wattage, they will show as an individual device on the Now screen and be pulled out of the AO list in the Devices page. So, if that router starts to draw 20W, it will no longer show entirely as an AO devices. 15W will still count as AO, but you’ll see a device bubble for the 20W.

See this example from my home.

The Networking/PC device is a power strip that I have plugged into a smart plug The AO of it is 15W (and it’s usually not shown on my Now screen), but I have my laptop charging currently so it’s pulling 56W and is pulled out of the AO bubble.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I fully understand it now. And this may explain some of my confusion trying to figure out the always on. I had assumed the always on component of the smart plugs was NOT added to the overall always on, since it was being shown separately as in your Networking/PC bubble.

1 Like

We’re releasing a patch to v26 momentarily (26.1 on both iOS and Android).

You’ve given great feedback on this release, both here and via Support and we’ve made some changes to reflect it, as well as some general improvements.

• We’ve removed the option to toggle Always On device display as individual bubbles. Not a lot of folks were using it, many found it confusing, and it required more effort than we envisioned to support it because it affects how we calculate Always On values.

• Over the coming days, along with new firmware, there will be a series of general improvements to the Always On calculation and general bug fixes. This includes better handling of ~1W smart plug Always On devices, a fix to cases where smart plug Always On devices were being double counted, and where a smart plug would fluctuate rapidly in and out of Always On. These fixes are not pushed yet. I will update when they are.

We’re confident that these changes will improve the experience of v26 overall, but especially for those of you with a lot of smart plugs with Always On devices.

I’ll also reflect these changes in the release notes above.

6 Likes