A/C on - Door open alert?

Hi all…We generally leave the backdoor open in the early mornings until the A/C kicks on. I’d like to get a notification when the A/C kicks on and the door is open.
I use Smartthings for my home automation. Sense tells me when A/C is on, smarthings tells me if door is open. Any idea how to send texts when both conditions are met. Trying to figure out IFTTT…need If This AND This Then That - IFTATTT…lol

1 Like

Contextual validation?

Trigger field contextual validation

Contextual Validation allows you to validate a trigger field based on the values of other trigger fields.

1 Like

This is a very loose idea, but maybe something is possible here. Can you dump from smartthings to a Google Sheet? Maybe you can set it up to dump that door state to the same sheet that Sense can dump ON state to and try to hack something with GDrive triggers. I have never played around with GDrive in that capacity, but worth a look!

1 Like

I am also a SmartThings user and have many similar contexts that I would love to see better integrated. (Heat is on but Door is open, oven/iron on but no one at home, etc). I’ve seen workarounds on the forums to bring in Sense devices to SmartThings using an RPi solution but I would like to see these two companies integrate a little better directly to make my whole home smarter

2 Likes

Yes, it would be nice to see better Sense / SmartThings integration. If the API were documented, I’m sure the ST community could build a device integration.

I currently have alerts configured with ST for the OP’s scenario using a Nest thermostat integration. It looks like that will be breaking on 8/31 when the Nest API is shut down, so I might be looking to Sense for assistance with this data gathering at some point.

2 Likes

I’ll look into this. Thanks!

I started looking into platform.ifttt.com before I posted this. Reading closer in your link, I will have to contact support to enable that feature. I’d assume then, that’d be part of the paid tier features. No?

I have a RPi sitting around doing nothing. A co-worker mentioned home-assistant.io that may help what I’m trying. Going to research this.

Unless you want to publish the solution, I think you could have them activate it with a free Developer plan but I haven’t tried.

Your original post got me intrigued and I might play around with it … I don’t have any SmartThings devices though so at this stage I wouldn’t be working on anything that will solve your problem.

Maybe you could build a solution and have Sense publish it for the community :wink:

2 Likes

I use Hubitat now but have a smart things from before. Yes you can do the Raspberry PI method (which I did but painful in the long run) but for simplicity you can just make a virtual switch and sync it with sense?

Virtual Switch = Smarthings AC Status
Then with Sense IFTTT, trigger the virtual switch on or off depending on AC being on or off. IF (sense) THEN (Smarthings).

Presto, you can make a webcore or rule to alert you through smart things now whenever door contact is open and the virtual switch (AC) is on.

From there you can notify however you want (announcement, SMS, app notify, etc)

May need more tutorial if you never used webCore.

2 Likes

@callegari.dreaming, I think the virtual switch in this manner is the way to go. I ‘think’ I can have SmartThings alert if ‘Virtual Switch = Smarthings AC Status’ and ‘Door contact is open’. Reset my wireless system today to work out some admin issues. Now can’t get Sense to connect at all. So, gotta work all that out first. Will report back.

I have an ecobee and I use smartthings. I accomplish this notification and shut off the AC/Heat when someone leaves the doors / windows open using the below smart app. It works very well.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that even if you can get this to work that IFTTT advertises that their system can have up to 15 min delay in the notifications.

2 Likes

If you have an Android device and use the Tasker automation app, you can simply use IFTTT triggers to send WebHooks messages to the device and let Tasker handle the logic–which can be as complex as you like.

I’m using this approach to make sure I don’t leave my garage door open all night. I track the state of the door in Tasker through Sense triggers and then use the WU sunset trigger on IFTTT to initiate a notification if the door appears to still be open.

You just need the AutoRemote plugin for Tasker to handle messages.

1 Like