Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

So I am super happy that sense has finally detected my car but it isn’t perfect yet. It says my cars charging cycle has stopped before it actually stops and I assume that’s because the charge cycle ramps down over a long period of time.

That’s the likely culprit. It should improve over time.

Hey Sam - I have been using sense for over a year. I have quite a few identified (not-important) devices. Some of the devices are misidentified, and I report back to sense in the app under “Device is not on” option. My other and always on are consistently changing so it throws off my real cost of important items that I am looking to measure.
My needs are not that of knowing every device detection. My needs are reporting, alerting, application accessibility through phone and most important accurately measuring devices that I deem important like the EV, AC, Pool, Sub-Panels et cetera as well as. I have waited patiently for sense to detect my EV. It finally detected it this past month or so, but then it disappeared. :frowning:
I purchased another device, and installed it this past weekend along with sense. It is running alongside of sense.
Overall I am not unhappy with sense. It does do what it claims. However it does not accurately report the devices that I deem critical to measure.

Ryan - I used to be in customer service too, and I understand your response. I can also tell you how frustrating it is as a consumer to hear it. Are you suggesting that it is possible that the Tesla will disappear each time a firmware update happens? I can almost say with 100% accuracy that the car’s firmware will update more that 1x a year based on my past year of ownership.
I am looking for 100% accuracy on important devices. Sense is not cutting it.

That shouldn’t happen, as most firmware updates wouldn’t affect the wattage draw of the device. That said, it certainly can happen, and with devices beyond EVs as well that receive firmware updates that affect wattage draws. That should be a very rare occurrence though.

Once we get this fixed, I can share a bit more info, but essentially pre-firmware update, there was an odd spike in the signature (seemingly deviant). Our models were trained to look for that spike as part of the device. They’ve since smoothed out the ramp up, and it’s thus throwing our previously trained models off. This is the first time we’ve run into an issue like this and we’ve been working with some EVs for almost two years. I really don’t think this should be taken as a sign of things to come.

@samwooly1 let’s please keep this thread focused on EVs. You can take this separate convo to PMs.

2 Likes

I was super excited yesterday to see that Sense had detected an Electric Vehicle! I have a Honda Clarity PHEV and I was not really expecting it to be detected since it isn’t a very common car. I’ve only had it about a month too, so it picked up on it pretty quick.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add my input on this topic. I have a 2014 Chevy Volt that I hope gets detected soon (I charge it via 240v @ 16A with a Clipper Creek EVSE).

Overall I’m happy with the Sense monitor, but I wish it would detect items a little quicker, AND, let us tell the unit what’s on to help speed up the machine learning…but it’s great when it comes to total usage tracking.

I know it’s not officially supported but I left my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV after it was detected, and it does capture the charge from time to time, and both the accuracy and how often it catches the charge cycle seems to be improving.

Mind you it isn’t perfect yet :slight_smile:

Look only at home of 107 kWh

Mine has been having issues with detection and drops once the charge cycle ramps down and now today it started splitting the charge up and showing one leg under EV and the other leg under the other bubble.

I got one of the first Sense units during the prerelease phase. My Sense has now had more than 2 years to identify my 2017 Chevy Volt, and aside from identifying an overnight “trickle” warming power draw that happens in cold weather, still no joy (I deleted that device a couple months ago to see if that would help Sense find the full charge cycle: no such luck). I like the Sense for what it does, but this is a pretty major “expectation” vs “reality” episode. Really can’t recommend it to electric vehicle owners.

@jdtsmith
I don’t have an EV but read a lot on here about it. From what I can tell the 32 amp charger is where people have the best detection.
Have you tried other charging options?

Sadly the Volt doesn’t charge that fast. Max charge is 16A. I use the stock Clipper-Creek based wall charger on 220V, which runs at 12A.

I would urge you to contact support about it. There are no guarantees that they can do anything but maybe they can help.
If you have information like when a charge cycle started and stopped with the wattage so they can look at the exact timeframe, that would be best. Maybe include several of them.

I am in the same boat with you. I have a Chevy Volt and a Model 3 and have had no luck. I am doing something a little different. I charge variably with the available solar production which produces its own weird signature.

And my EVs are a large part of what I would like to monitor. I give a slightly different take to fellow EV drivers. Most that can afford an EV can afford a Sense monitor. I am honest with them about the difficulties they can expect with this unit, but I encourage them to join the community to break the chicken-or-the-egg syndrome with the understanding it may never be solved. I do believe that Sense is making progress with EVs even if I may be one of the last. I do have over 30 unique devices found so there is at least that.

2 Likes

@jdtsmith
Are you sure that’s a 240 charger you are using?
If it plugs Into a regular receptacle like most home appliances then it’s 120 level 1. I believe the level 1 was stock/standard.

I have the original BMW level 1 charger that came with my car but I haven’t used it in about a year because if i remember correctly it takes about 16 hours to completely charge my car with that thing but with my level 2 32A fast AC charger it takes 3 hours to completely charge my car. As of now Sense has detected when my car is charging BUT it isn’t detecting it correctly and is still showing one leg under my EV and the other leg under the other bubble. I have thought about putting my car on the level 1 charger on fridays after i get home from work and using one of my smart plugs to properly detect it and get some good readings

1 Like

Yes. You can run the stock charger at 220 by using a custom adapter. So 12A@220V, charges from empty to full in about 5.5hrs.

Since the usage is so high I may install a Shelly 3EM when it arrives for just my EV circuit. Hoping they start recognizing those wifi enabled switches and energy monitors.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. I have a 2013 volt and a Model 3. These 2 evs are some of the primary things I bought a sense to monitor. Would be cool if sense could create an integration with Tesla using the data from the car itself or some kind of 3rd party 220v smart switch. As I just don’t think device detection seems to work too great with EVs.