Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

We’re working on something now that covers some of the things you’ve mentioned @johannes. I think it’s safe to say you’ll be seeing something from us within the next few months.

1 Like

Any update on that “something”?

Hey @kalvin126 - welcome to the Community.
This feature is in closed Beta testing with a small group right now while we fine-tune the feature. We expect to have an update here closer to the end of the year or at the very beginning of 2022.

1 Like

Following up, JUSTIN, ANY UPDATE STATUS ON THIS ?

Hi @jimauger - not sure if you see the above reply to @kalvin126.

2 Likes

Wanted to bump this…I have a model X that’s not detected.

A couple questions:

• What voltage and amperage do you charge at ?
  • Which power connector / charger do you use ?
  • Which year X is it ?

No cures - just trying to get a better picture.

32 amp using the Tesla wall charger @ 245-247w… 2020 model X

(Numbers corrected on edit)

1 Like

@JustinAtSense Can I join the beta for Chargepoint integration? The variation is about 1/3 missed data. Honestly I see 6.6 KWH charging but sense only sees 6.0 maybe 6.1 KWH

This is graph from my setup:
EV (Bolt) started charging at low rate at 10:01PM

According to sense EV stopped charging at 00:18 but there was power draw kept going till 01:04
Since I charge to 90% charge power wasn’t tapering down. it just stopped when it reached 90%.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Still no detection of my X charging on the Tesla wall charger…

1 Like

Is this Beta dont yet, I have Chargepoint, and want to jump on board please….thanks.

Looking forward to sense discovering my EV devices!

I have the following and would be happy to join the beta or provide info that helps your data gathering needs.

• 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Grizzl-E Smart 40 amp (running at 32 amp charge off of a 40 amp breaker plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet)

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have Nissan leaf and the detection was fine, but only when the consumption was at 100%, I. E 6.6KWH. so I decided to put a DC monitor and strangely I see that DCM is also limiting to a similar number at 5.8KWH, but then I see my other bubble at 1.2 KWH or 1.8 KWH (can reproduce on demand as many times as needed).

I was hoping to be able to SCM would tell me exact numbers. Waiting on Chargepoint integration for sure, if that’s an option

1 Like

@JustinAtSense - it’s now nearly the second half of 2022, well past the EOY 2021/early 2022 estimate. Can we get more frequent updates?

What about at least expanding the beta?

Justin is no longer at sense.

So does that mean no one from Sense will answer this?

Justin announced he no longer works at sense. I posted that as a response.
For the first time since 5 months he posts in another thread that he will relay info regarding that thread to the team.
Very confusing imo.

New member here. Is it typical that Sense representative engage on these forums? Any chance we can ask Sense for someone else to engage on this topic? I have an EV, too, and it was one of my primary interests for getting the Sense device (hoping to be able to categorize how much energy is going to charging our two EVs (VW e-Golf and ID.4). Sounds like Sense may sense Tesla’s and maybe Bolt’s? Anything else (sorry I have not read this full history but I’m not seeing any mentions when I search on VW).

1 Like

@jsflewelling, over the past 4 years, Sense has had a dedicated community manager. We’re in between them right now - so the last one moved on a month or two ago.

As for EV detection, the big picture is that EV charging ramps and shutdowns are well outside the 1/2 to 1 second time window used by the main Sense detection mechanism. That means that Sense hasn’t really built a generic detection mechanism for EVs, but has certainly been building tuned detectors for specific EV models
to better understand how to do something more generic. This blog might help explain.