Device Detection Major Update: Tesla Model 3 - 1/9/19

We’ve been charging our model S, model X and LEAF at home for longer than we’ve had sense (a year), and our 3 since we bought it in September. Still none of these have been detected and I’m wondering what could be going wrong with that?

Great news, hope you have considered both 110 and 220 V charging.

My PacHy has been detected for now 3 months and thats cool.
I was plugging in continuously for the same reason last week with 110 but with no luck i have unplugged it, will plugin starting today.

I have my PacHy detected for now 3 months may be, what charger are you using? 110 or 220?
and i plug it every day. Just says electric vehicle though not PacHy.

For both of our cars we have a 240v charger (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018A6QK7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OwtpCbZYNHKYM) and we charge every night. I’ve had my fusion for a year and the pacifica for 7 months, and neither of them have been found.

Over 2 years now with Sense & a Tesla S60D charged daily on a HPWC with no detection. Extremely disappointing.

Can’t wait! I will be diligently charging every night now.

How long does it take for Sense to detect a BMW i3? I’ve been charging with a JuiceBox for about 2 weeks (when Sense was installed) but it hasn’t been detected yet. I have another EVSE I could try but will that hinder detection or make a difference?

Down something of a rabbit hole, but will Sense detect the charging profile of the i3 (once it’s a detected device) regardless of the EVSE since the charger is really in the car?

Thanks!

Have had my sense up and running for 2-3 months now and its detected almost 20 devices… except for my Tesla Model S. My S is plugged in every day and usually charges at least 6 days a week - and for several hours since I usually arrive home with 50 miles or less range after work.

Its plugged into a Tesla High Power Wall Connector that is charging at 220 volts/48 amps (instead of 80). Any thoughts as to why it hasn’t been detected yet? I thought I read somewhere that the amperage is not important since its looking at the charging profile and not the number of amps.

Its a January, 2013 Model S (with 203,000 miles!)

Thanks!
Aaron

Hoping you will soon add for Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid.

My Tesla Model 3 was detected 4 days ago and seems to be tracking properly. Thank you sense.

I’ll second the request for the Clarity! I just bought one.

Please reserve this thread for discussion specific to Tesla Model 3 detection. For general EV detection discussion, use Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

Model 3 identified yesterday. Everything looks great so far. I attached some photos of the app and what I am seeing.
IMG_1569

With a variety of charge rates for various Model 3s, seen at Tesla here:

I’m curious if the Model 3 detection will handle some or all of these home charging options:

1. Mobile Connector Bundle
    (40 amp Gen1, 32 amp Gen2 that’s included standard with all Model 3 variants)
  2. Wall Connector
    (48 amp)
  3. Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug
    (40 amp, new Jan 15 2019)

I’ve put together a detailed article with a video showing my Sense Home Energy Monitoring during the start of a 40 amp home charging session of my Model 3 LR that is actually pretty entertaining to watch, using my very new Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug (that’s already sold out):
https://tinkertry.com/tesla-model-3-known-good-charging#video-of-power-use-when-charging-at-home

I believe this picture will demonstrate what the video shows, at a glance.

Great article! That’s a pretty tidy panel too!

EVSEs matter very little in detection. We’re really looking at the signature of the circuitry that’s in the car itself. That may change as EVSEs become more advanced, but it remains the case for now. Hopefully Sense picks up on your m3 soon.

And nice to see another semi-local Sense user. We’re just over in Boston and try to get users in the office for pizza and discussion. We’ll have to get you in here at some point.

Thank you, RyanAtSense! Your reply about EVSEs sounds promising, and makes sense.

By the way, I drive to the Boston area pretty regularly, and stopping by the office someday sure sounds good to me. I can easily be contacted here, and if you’re ever passing through Connecticut, feel free to reach out!

This morning, my iPhone greeted me with a push notification that my Tesla had been found, this is good!

FYI, slow charging missed:
! I did have an issue with my first very slow charging, likely just because of cold overnight temps last night, let me know if you want more details, happy to help. I can also share a detailed 27min. video of the very slow ramp-up seen in both the Tesla and Sense apps, with some screenshots below my same article (I’m unable to direct link here).

Good news!
Subsequent warmer-battery charges worked just fine, Sense picked it right up and showed realtime stats. Thank you!

For the charging session that wasn’t picked up by Sense, here’s my TeslaFi charging log.

Footnote added hours later:
Taking another look at my first successfully monitored Model 3 Long Range charging session, I see that TeslaFi shows 22 min to add 3.02 kWh, but the Sense app only shows 9 min to add 1.9 kWh.

Curious how this is going for the other M3 owners. My full charge cycle is regularly not being captured correctly (less than half the time). Sometimes the M3 doesn’t get identified at all and other times Sense throws it back into the other category part way through a charge cycle.

I’m charging with the NEMA plug. Any better results with the wall charger?

I’m still using my Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug (40 amp) and you’re right, sometimes it misses a charging session, such as when I had one going for about 3 minutes today. Admittedly, that’s kind of short, but I don’t believe it would have found it, usually it picks a session up and identifies it in well under a minute.