Electrical Cost - (Help Needed)

I’m an Ohio resident and our Electrical Bill is comprised of two charges (Supplier/Delivery), as evident in my bill excerpt. What is the appropriate Electric Cost, which should be placed in the Sense Application?

• Supplier - Santana Energy Services
  • Delivery - Ohio Edison

My bill has supplier and delivery changes too.

I would divide the total bill dollars($38.73+25.43 + other charges to keep it conservative) by the total KW used (490) to get about 14c per KWH.
That is 2 times cheaper than my bills in NYC. Mine is 23-30c per KWH.

2 Likes

Easiest way is just taking the 38.73 + 25.43 and dividing by KWH.
So $0.13 kWh
If you want to be a little bit more precise, you can back out the $4.00 customer charge as this is charged regardless of what you consume.

This all assumes that Distribution Related charges and Cost Recovery Charges are calculated based on kWh used. You could confirm by posting another months bill and we can see if the numbers line up. I’m actually a little surprised that they don’t show the breakdown for that. See a screenshot of my bill which breaks down the equivalent charges.

1 Like

I can’t tell whether the distribution and cost recovery components are charged on a per kWh basis. If they are, then you should divide the total (64.13) by 490 = 13.1cents/kWh.

Keep in mind that sometimes delivery charges can be on a sliding scale depending on consumption which can really mess with the “just add it up and divide it by cost” method of calculating an overall cost per kwh. Some areas are fixed delivery fees, some are not, so you should compare against previous bills and see if that value is steady or shifting.

Here we are on a 3 tier time of use billing system plus sliding scale delivery charges so it makes calculating an exact figure to input in sense basically impossible.

I apologize if this is too far off topic but the bills shown don’t have something that’s on mine every month.
It’s called “Environmental Surcharge”
I called about it before and they said it was the cost to run the “Srubbers” in the coal plant

Is this charge unique to Kentucky?

Most utilities are natural monopolies - only one set of power poles and wires feeding power to each house. As such, they almost always are regulated monopolies where they are allowed to charge on a cost plus as determined by a public utilities commission (PUC). Typically, utilities are entitled to recovering costs plus some profit percentage on additional costs incurred. If I look at the rate card for the most common residential rate for my local utility, there are plenty of added costs -

• cost of decommissioning 50 year old nuclear plants
  • DWR - cost of bond payments from an energy crisis caused by Enron gaming the California electrical market in 2000-2001

10%20PM

And then with these nifty solar panels on my roof I get these bills from time to time:

With my plan my distribution charges are baked in so my cost per kWh is a flat 10.9 cents whether I use 2 or 2000 kWh.