Help identify device!

I have this device called “device1” that runs for about 10 seconds more or less, turns on and off about 1,000 times a day.
Attaching screenshots.
Takes up 50w each time.
I did notice that when I was away for a week during the holidays, it still turned on amd off, although less.

Please help! Driving me crazy. Tried unplugging all chargers i knew of.

1 Like

Until someone posts a better idea, I would at least start by turning off circuit breakers while watching sense meter live view until it stops.
This should at least help point you in the right direction.
If it’s happening that often, shouldn’t take long to at least find what circuit it is on.
I’d be interested to know what the circuit is labeled.
It sort of looks like a small motor.

1 Like

Looks like a small pump or compressor that may be seized up and is cutting off after a short over heat/current cycle… Do you have any small refrigerators that are plugged in but not cooling? De-humidifier that you think is working? Water cooler with no cold water? lol aquarium chiller, uhmm… something along those lines? Laptop charger topping off a running laptop?

2 Likes

Looks typical of a mini-split compressor or potentially a fridge/freezer compressor. Remember this doesn’t represent either the whole device nor is it necessarily the complete representation of a device component.

This is a good thread in this regard:

1 Like

Its keep cycling ON-OFF rapidly.
My best guess is… Washing machine ?
I saw this pattern on my Electrolux WM.
But the peak power consumption should be about 100-200 Watt.

1 Like

I would guess an aquarium pump (maybe that’s clogged?), or a Keurig/coffee maker? Let us know when you find out!

Do you have something like hot water recirculation? Looks similar to mine during our active hours but many systems are setup as always on and the pump with cycle rapidly on them depending on how they were designed and installed.

I have a similar issue. Whatever it is comes on every 2-3 minutes for 27-30 seconds then quits.

It’s not any normal appliance, tv, computer or charging devices. I thought it could be a power factor correction device and not that either.

After turning everything off there were only two devices left , the sense monitor itself and my internet modem and router.

The Problem if I turn either of those off to test it… well there’s no access to the app or data, because sense depends on those running to diagnose.

So it’s either the sense monitoring device or my motem and router is the best I can figure if that helps.

Question is, does sense cycle like that and how much power does it use and can it detect itself? With that answer I could reduce it to the other.

The Sense monitor uses less than 5W and probably doesn’t cycle like that. Modems may vary, but mine doesn’t cycle and stays about 12W or less, even when downloading at max speed (via an HS300 smart plug outlet strip)

Maybe you can post your waveforms from the Power Meter ? Could there be other devices on the modem circuit that could be turning on ?

I unplugged my house alarm system thought it could be the battery back up on that as well as the battery back up on the computer system, not those. I’ve turned off every breaker except the breaker that controls the general circuit that the modem and router are on. On that circuit is also some empty hallway sockets and a ceiling fan with remote that’s off.

I agree with @kevin1, cable/modem networking equip doesn’t look like that.

It does look eerily similar to my Sony Android TV which likes to turn on and pull 20w every 6/7 minutes, even when off. So maybe not a Sony TV, but some other Smart thing that would be “phoning home / checking for updates”. Google Home, an Android Tablet, Smart Microwave? IDK

@ben, you raise an interesting point. I have a Sony TV that is pre-Android (probably 2009), that exhibits a somewhat similar behavior. Three key points:

• When it has been off for a while, it sees 8 minute bursts of 20W usage every three hours… The burst is associated with a relay clicking on in the TV.

• But the TV goes to absolutely zero watts in between. Not a single milliWatt of usage that the HS300 can read.
  • Following the TV being on for while, there is a long trail of shorter, 1 1/2 minus 20W bursts, that last for several hours, mixed in with the 8 minute bursts every 3 hours… Go figure - recharging something ??

All My TVs are all behind Kasa plugs. If it is an android smart tv then the Kasa plug isnt detecting the 30 sec 45w bursts, and the bursts are also bypassing the Kasa plug in the Off mode. Also the item cycles while the TVs are on and completely functioning.

@mrindianajones,
Then you are well instrumented ! I’m just musing on similar behaviors. I kind of wonder what my TV is doing and whether other types of types of devices in standby might do similar ? I’m still betting on you having some surprise device, other than your modem/router, on that same circuit or some small parallel sub panel.

Sense doesn’t turn on/off, nor does a modem. Both are “always on” devices and neiher draws much power anyway.

It was a heating pad set on low that fell behind an adjustable temperapedic bed frame module.

I had unplugged the heating pad on my wife’s side of the bed when the device was detected and ruled the phantom device out as NOT a heating pad (one of senses suggested devices). However, apparently she had an identical one plugged in on my side and draped it up from the center using a power strip that “was” only dedicated to extension cords to run the bed side lamp sets and reading lights to the wall switch circuit. The heating pad plug end looks identical to the extension cords used it turned out.

When I went to check the control module for the adjustable bed to see if that module was the source of the phantom electric pull, I found the heating pad concealed there under the bed… where it has been cycling on low for 3 months…

Because there were two identical heating pads on low, sense saw them as one in the same as they cycled between each other and not in tandem. What I failed to notice was before I unplugged the first one, the phantom device was cycling at quicker intervals. Unplugging the first one reduced the intervals of the cycling but another one was still on using the same electrical signature as far as sense was concerned.

The end…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.