Help identifying a mystery device

@kcooke315,
What kind of logging are you looking for ? You have access to the HS110’s full waveform history from the Sense app via the Device Power Meter in the app (not the web app), with the ability to zoom in and out. If you want text format, you would have to settle for the hourly download from that HS110, via the Sense web app (not the app).

Really good point. I had not thought of that.

So logistical question… Sense identifies a new device. I have no clue what it is, and so I move an HS110 around looking at devices I believe could be candidates. But now, when I do, I no longer see the ‘Sense identified’ mystery device, I see a very similar one behind the HS110. Ideall, I’d like to have both–at the same time :slight_smile:

More to the point… I no longer see the mystery device isolated. I see the baseline consumption (of my refrigerator, for example) and need to try and extrapolate the mystery component over the baseline wattage… This isn’t a ton easier than what I’m doing now :slight_smile:

You should still see the sense detected device through the HS110.
I had a space heater detected by sense. I took my HS110 and plugged the heater into it and then turned heater on. It showed on the timeline as th sense detected “space heater and also theha110

Perhaps I read it incorrectly on this board… I understood that once you placed a device behind the HS110, that load would be reported in Sense (under the HS100 device), but no more machine learning would take place. I assumed this also meant it would not be flagged separately for things like alerting.

SamWooly1, are you stating that devices behind the HS110 still alert, if they were learned prior to being plugged into the smart switch?

Sense doesn’t know that that detection is behind the HS110 until you check a box in the Smartplug configuration under the Manage tab. So I would suggest you keep on HS110 as a roamed. Once you commit an HS110 to a detected device by checking the box, things become a little trickier since the detection history pre-Smartplug gets attached to the Smartplug.

ps: I think @samwooly1 has outlined the steps for moving around after the fact.

Some way in which we can see actual values at 1 sec resolution. App shows the waveform of that device, but no way to read the time and power at different times (unlike what we CAN do for total power on Web App). If that could be added, that’d be extremely useful, and easier than downloading the data.

Not sure why you can’t get what you want from the Device Power Meter in the app ? I can see second level resolutions and measure accurately via the measure line on the right. Here’s what it looks like for one of my HS110s

I see that, but that’s only the current value. That’s the same that we can get from the Kasa App. What would be more useful is to be able to look at values at other times, so that we can see the power consumption over time with the ability to look up numbers, and not just a graph and the last value.

You do know that you can pan and zoom throughout time in that window to see the measurement line aligned with any second in history ?? Not the same as Kasa which only offers most recent. Or am I missing something ??

I can go to any time in history I want… same device hours earlier. One of the amazing things for me is that you have this whole history available to you with full visibility within the Sense app. Makes it much better for finding hard to locate things than a Kill-A-Watt.

2 Likes

OK, thanks for your patience. I now found the way to scroll to do this. I was looking at a device that’s quite constant, so I didn’t realize that the power value was updating for different times, and was not always the current value. So my feature request is already implemented! :slight_smile: This will be super-useful.

Not sure if others will be as dense as me, but perhaps a mini-tutorial on this on the smart plug FAQs, with a couple of screen shots, would be very useful.

2 Likes

Looks like a refrigerator and this is a picture of my fridges power usage on a HS110. Obviously you can see other things showing up in the fridge using power as well because its on a smart plug.

fridge

This is zoomed out like your other pictures and the tall spikes are the ones that i got the zoomed in picture from. Again its on a smart plug (HS110) so you’re going to see a lot more happening on mine.

My Samsung fridge looks very similar to these pics. Even those little blips on the first plot are there.

probably because mine is also a Samsung

1 Like

Smoking gun???

I moved one of my HS110s and plugged my fridge in… Sense showed the first screen shot from the HS110 and the second is my mystery device. I would say with pretty high confidence my mystery device is a component of the refrigerator.

My gut tells me to remove the HS100 not so that Sense can continue to learn the rest of the components in my refrigerator. Yes?

1 Like

Yes, keep the HS110 in action if you have space behind your fridge. And buy another one as your roamer. Make sure you check the box in the Manage section of the smartplug’s Device settings that associates the smartplug with that newly detected device to avoid double counting by Sense.

No - I don’t work for TP-Link…

2 Likes

Kevin… This is the opposite of what I expected to hear. Why leave it? I was treating this unit as my roamer.

I would like Sense to continue to learn the other components in my fridge. With the HS110 in action, I understood that Sense would Ignore whatever is plugged in (in this case a single refrigerator. Please set me straight.

I’ve recently purchased an HS110 for my Samsung refridge, which hasn’t detected in the months since I purchased it, but I haven’t installed the HS110 yet (VERY hard to get behind the refridge). So I want to do it right the first time.

I don’t understand your note “Make sure you check the box in the Manage section of the smartplug’s Device settings that associates the smartplug with that newly detected device to avoid double counting by Sense.”Is this somewhere in the Sense App, or is it in the HS110 setup?

In Sense App in the Devices settings for that Smartplug device. It’s a little buried in the Manage tab in the “What’s plugged into this ?” entry. Sense needs a way to be able to associate the Smartplug with the previously-identified device(s) plugged into it to avoid double counting.

Thanks. Since Sense hasn’t discovered any of the various components of my refrigerator, this probably won’t have an effect on me, but I till check to be sure.

I’m assuming this is in the phone app, correct?