How to enable Network Device Indentification

The Network Device Identification (NDI) feature leverages broadcast messaging data on your local network to inform the device detection capabilities of your Sense monitor. In keeping with our data privacy best practices, this is an opt-in only feature that can help Sense develop models to detect connected devices like televisions, game consoles, smart speakers, and more, so we can better detect them in the future.

Enabling NDI will likely not result in immediate detections of networked devices, but will give us data in order to better detect such devices. Note that NDI does not give Sense access to any of your private content. Networked devices occasionally send “pings” to other devices, essentially short broadcasts that say “I’m on!” or “I’m on standby!” and that is the data we’ll access if you enable NDI. Some models have already been developed and deployed for a number of connected TV brands and models, but you must have NDI enabled for your connected TV to be detected.

It’s important to note that Sense must be connected to the same network and subnet as your connected devices or it won’t be able to detect them using NDI.

To enable NDI:

Inside the Sense App for iOS/Android, navigate to Settings > My Home > Data Sources and select " Network Identification" to enable.

Please note that we have not yet implemented functionality for enabling NDI from the web app.

To learn more about how NDI works, please see this blog post.