How to monitor L1 and L2 voltage in Home Assistant?

Hi, I just added my two Sense units to Home Assistant.

First a complaint about the integration, whomever wrote it, thanks, but please add sense to the entity names, it was a pita to find entities when they are not called sense. rant off

Question, how do I monitor L1 and L2 voltage in Home Assistant?
It seems that the sensors are not published?

1 Like

Pieterā€¦ Hope this is what you are looking forā€¦

From Desktopā€¦ Sense.com>( upper right hand corner on your login name or account nameā€¦ Click it>Settings>Sense monitorā€¦ On the right hand sideā€¦ you will find signalsā€¦ L1 and L2ā€¦ Voltagesā€¦ From Desktop OK???

On phone appā€¦ Settings>MyHome>Sense Monitor> Scroll down to Signalsā€¦ L1 and L2

OKā€¦ Gerry

1 Like

See here: core/homeassistant/components/sense at dev Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub
and here: Sense - Home Assistant

It looks like the line voltage is not published.

Maybe the maintainer is on this forum?

Sorry I guess I missed the ā€˜Home Assistantā€™ā€¦ The stuff you referenced is over my headā€¦ I will take my 2 cents back to the poker tableā€¦ Hiā€¦ Thanksā€¦Laterā€¦Gerry

something of interest, my pc sense app shows the L1 and L2 voltages, but my android app shows no voltages or frequency just dashes

While the voltages are available from the websocket API (same as device states), theyā€™re not currently in Home Assistant.

Would have to make an update to add two new sensors

1 Like

If you could, that would be appreciated.

Ok, I just submitted the change so it will be in the HomeAssistant 0.117.0 release.

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you!

Q, didnā€™t look, is the L1 Amp and L2 Amp available vs. total W, and maybe power factor for L1 and L2?

Amps and power factor arenā€™t available. There does seem to be a ā€œchannelsā€ field which might be watts from each connection. Would need quite a few more changes to add access to that

Got it, thanks.
PF, harmonics, N/E bias, dips and swells would be good to monitor for power quality when that is ready.

1 Like

I added L1 and L2 monitoring on two sense units.
I notice unhandled exceptions in the sense component reported by HA.

E.g.

2020-10-29 10:06:52 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/sense/__init__.py", line 145, in async_sense_update
    await gateway.update_realtime()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sense_energy/asyncsenseable.py", line 45, in update_realtime
    await self.async_realtime_stream(single=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sense_energy/asyncsenseable.py", line 67, in async_realtime_stream
    raise SenseWebsocketException(data['error_reason'])
sense_energy.sense_exceptions.SenseWebsocketException: Service Unavailable
2020-10-29 10:07:52 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/sense/__init__.py", line 145, in async_sense_update
    await gateway.update_realtime()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sense_energy/asyncsenseable.py", line 45, in update_realtime
    await self.async_realtime_stream(single=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sense_energy/asyncsenseable.py", line 67, in async_realtime_stream
    raise SenseWebsocketException(data['error_reason'])
sense_energy.sense_exceptions.SenseWebsocketException: Service Unavailable

From my experience with HA Task exception was never retrieved errors typically mean the component did not handle an error condition?

1 Like