How to remove Smart TP-Link Power Strip HS300 - Shows up as Multiple Smart Plugs

I had an HS300 in the office, and it was feeding multiple devices (Desktop, laptop, Raspberry PI, printer, UPS, various chargers, …). Now, the net consumption from each of those devices was very small and it makes no sense to monitor each individually.

I then switched to a single KP115, feeding a power strip, which then feeds the various devices.

I wanted to remove/delete all entries related to the HS300 smart strip but can’t. Any hint on how to achieve that?

Thank You

Digression: Incidentally, all devices in my office consume barely 200W, the same as the heater in a 29G fresh water aquarium. Many years ago, while a student at MIT, we had a special room (5-017) housing a PDP11-44 computer. The computer was generating so much heat that it needed its own cooling. That specific room was cold, and many students loved to setup their experiments there, especially during the summer days. The computers we use today no longer double as space/personal heaters like their ancestors.

My guess: Use the Kasa Smart app on your smartphone to remove the HS300 and it’ll stop showing up in Sense.

1 Like

Thank you. I did just that and it no longer shows in Kasa, but it still does in Sense.

I could factory reset Sense but I’d rather not.

As far as I’m aware, you have two choices.

1. Remove the TP Link integration from Sense. this will erase all TP link devices. Then set it up again from scratch. You do not need to factory reset the entire Sense. Just disable the integration.

2. Rename the old devices in Sense to whatever you are now plugging into that HS300. Just know that the historic data from the old device will still be there and averages other “rolling stats” will be off for a while.

Basically, once Sense adds a TP link device, it remembers that device forever because all it know is that it is device ID AE123456 and you have chosen to call it “Printer”. If you plug something else into device AE123456, sense still sees it as such.
There is not a way to “clear” statistics from specific devices.

3 Likes

This is actually really bad UX. What is the reason this cannot be cleared from Sense? I have a Kasa plug that broke and now it’s in Sense forever? If I want to replace it and name it the same thing, it’s going to be confusing.

Additionally, I do not want to remove the entire integration and set everything up again on the grounds that I’d lose all historical data for my Kasa plugs that still work.

1 Like

Sense remembers the plug not the name. You can rename a plug and the historical for that plug remains.
You can name multiple plugs exactly the same and their data will remain separate, as Sense goes by the plug not the name of the plug.

I’m guessing there are three reasons that Sense hasn’t done the deep work needed to offer “delete” and maybe “hide” features for smartplugs.

• The data pipeline - all device data is processed through Sense’s data pipeline to calculate other data on a regular basis. Results like Other, aggregated hourly, daily, monthly and bill trends (usage and costs), plus device statistics (timeline, smartplug Always On, times on/off), all depend on incoming device data. Think of the data pipeline as a spreadsheet - when you delete an input to a complex calculation, all the downstream calculations become REF!, until you clean up the calculation. Now you might say “why recalculate things once they have been computed ?”. Unfortunately, there are reasons that recalculations are needed - new models are discovered/detected and the results need to be backfilled, people readjust their energy costs and want to see historic results, plus Sense does allow us to delete natively detected devices which induces recalculations and backfill. But the whole Sense infrastructure has been built with adding and deleting devices/models in mind. But not smart plug data - see next bullet.

• Save the data - Sense is also a data-centric company so I suspect they are very resistant to getting rid of “ground truth” data. Ground truth data, is power data for a device, measured directly from the source (I.e. smart plug data, Sense monitor measured and calculated data). In machine learning, one treats ground truth data very differently than “predicted” data (i.e. native detections). In machine learning land, ground truth data is like the inputs to a spreadsheet and the native detections are calculated outputs (though the calculations are very different from the ones I talked about in the earlier bullet). I believe Sense has built a sophisticated data storage hierarchy for storing vast amounts of ground truth data with this model in mind.

• So the paradigm for deleting / repurposing smartplugs is very different from deleting and adding native device models. One final complexity is that the data stream associated with a smartplug is tied to the MAC address for that smart plug. There’s no easy way to tell Sense that the data stream from this MAC address is tied to one device prior to Nov 7 at 7am and tied to a different device after that. So not even an easy way to hide historic data from a smart plug if you are ever going to use a smart plug again.

Not trying to make excuses for Sense, but hinting at why it would be harder than a simple UX change.

That said, I feel your pain, having 6 historic devices rattling around in your device list - I would probably rename them with a s in front of their name so they go to the very bottom !

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations! Makes sense. I work in software. Sometimes things that seem simple are harder than you think.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.