HS110 + Native detection

Question: how is it that a clothes washer plugged into an HS110 can be detected both as the smart plug & by Sense as a native device?

The smartplug (HS110) doesn’t block or otherwise interfere with the overall load that Sense is “seeing” at your mains other than add about 1.5W overall … think of it as Sense-native detection being unaware of the fact that a device is plugged in to the smartplug … because it is unaware! This is actually handy because you can compare the smartplug “ground truth” data vs. Sense-native detection.

You can tell Sense in the smartplug-detected Settings > Manage > “What’s plugged into this?” and then specify the Sense-native-Detected device.

See here for more details:

Thanks! But I’m not sure I’m buying that…otherwise every HS100 I have (10) would show same dual detection and they have not. I wonder whether the hot water heater is being detected when the washer is running but I’m at a loss to figure out why it does show otherwise…so I’m discounting it.

Sense sucks the HS110 data and records it so for the devices plugged in to a smartplug you get tracking … not exactly “detection”.

Meanwhile, just because that device’s data via the smartplug is pulled into Sense does not mean that Sense is able to do native detection on that device.

I have about 16 smartplugs and Sense has only actually detected 2 of those devices natively.

In theory Sense will eventually use the smartplug data to improve the native detection. In practice a lot of the devices you would plug into a smartplug are going to be very difficult for Sense to detect natively. The smartplug data though is a goldmine for the ML and probably brings the end-goal closer.

If you had the Sense native detection first then that’s why.
And by using a smart plug on a native detection, you’ll have a doubling for that device.

Sense doesn’t detect anything plugged into a smart plug. I had this same happen when a device was detected and then I plugged it into a HS110.
I decided to keep the native detection and move the plug somewhere else.

If Sense has already natively detected a device that you then plug into a smartplug it’s up to you to determine whether you want to tell Sense or not. I assume in some cases putting the device on a smartplug may also affect the native detection.

You can also have a situation where Sense will natively detect a device after it’s been put on a smartplug and while it is still on that smartplug though I’m not sure what the scheme is for that.

The Smartplug got the washer first…this showed up about 3 weeks later. I’m going to try and determine if it’s the washer Sense sees or some other device like the instant-on Gas hot water heater (which does not have a smart plug). Scratching my head to think about alternative ideas.

You can get an idea by zooming in on points of interest and comparing the two waveforms. Look at the changes with more regard for timing than amplitude.

If you have the patience and tools doing an overlay can be revealing.
Capture the waveforms for the same time period and scale them to similar amplitude ranges.

You can also change the Settings > General > Theme between captures.

Begin by using this trick:

I’ve also found capturing on an iPadPro to be easiest because the large touchscreen allows more precise vertical scaling … the trick there is to use fingers on separate hands as far apart as possible and drag the top finger up/down while holding the bottom finger still; then release the top finger first. That way with a little patience you can target down to 1 watt.

Do you mean HS110 or HS100? We’re not compatible with the HS100 and do not pull data from those.

If a device is first installed on a smart plug before it gets detected, you can still use the What’s Plugged Into This flow (in Device Settings > Manage) and choose Other Device. That will allow you to select from a list. Please do this for all smart plug devices, as this is what gives us ground truth. However, doing so will not prevent a native detection from occurring as it’s certainly possible to have multiple devices of that type in a home. If a native detection occurs afterwards, you can go back to the What’s Plugged Into This flow and deselect Other device and choose the detected device from the list (once you’ve confirmed the detection is accurate). This will stop the double counting.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan.

The device was plugged into a power sensing HS110 device and was first detected using it. I’ll monitor the new native detection for a few weeks before making any changes as it’s possible the device detected is not the same (could be instant hot water heater cycling with washer demand).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.