Issues identifying new device

I’m new to sense so I may be doing something wrong. It found this device as a heater and I thought I knew what it was. Turns out I was wrong. So I searched my house without success and I even tried flipping breakers to no avail. There’s obviously a small window (3-4mins) that I can try and find it when it’s running. It’s also very consistent in it’s draw (1235-1245w). Any ideas on how to go about finding this. It’s pretty significant so I’m very surprised I can’t find a freakin’ coil that’s sucking up almost 1300w :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t got anything like that, but that sure looks like a power hog! Is there a timeliness of it or is it cycling all day?

Something pulling that much power is likely some form of resistance heating. Do you have something like a towel bar heater or other such device? Your approach of flipping breakers should at least let you know which breaker it is on, which should make it fairly easy to track down.

1 Like

It was just detected but it looks like it’s running all day. I have quite a few resistance heating devices in my house including:
Master Bath Floor heat - large (110v AC)
Master Bath Floor heat - small (110v AC)
Office Floor heat - (240v to DC)
Garage Electric Heat (240v 5kw w/fan)
Dryer (240v)

I’ve turned each of these off without seeing the Sense app show it drop to 0. So I’m a bit baffled.

1 Like

Ok - Got it figured out. Still not sure why it’s doing what it’s doing. SunTouch floor heat in our master bathroom. Turning the thermostat off has no effect on the app’s immediate reading from Sense. HUGE latency. Even flipping the breaker I don’t see it drop to 0. Turning it ON it seems to immediately show up - but not off. Odd.

2 Likes

If you’re watching the real time graph is there a lag? Under the now or usage tabs?

There could actually be a lag in the device from when you turn it off till it goes off. This is not uncommon in heating systems as the flow continues for a while to drain residual heat from the heating unit.

1 Like

“There could actually be a lag in the device from when you turn it off till it goes off. This is not uncommon in heating systems as the flow continues for a while to drain residual heat from the heating unit.”

That would make sense if I was just doing this on the thermostat. But I get the same result with the breaker.

1 Like

This pattern looks remarkably like my NuHeat heated floors.

1 Like

Yep - that’s what it turned out to be.

2 Likes