Mystery Device Using 1136W

I have a Mystery Device that was first identified as Heat 3. It is using 1136 W and holds steady. It turned on yesterday at 5pm and hasn’t shut off since. I figured I’d try to figure it out this morning by shutting breakers off. I ended up shutting off every breaker in the house except my office, my wife’s office, and the breaker for the Sense device.

The only thing running in our offices are computers and some other small electronic devices. I went into each office to make sure there is nothing running that would draw that much power.

I would think that something that is drawing that much power, for a steady amount of time, would be heat related, but in this case it’s not. Is it possible that multiple sources got compiled into one device and named it Heat 3?

Even if that’s the case, everything was shutdown in our offices last night except the cable modem and router, and yet the device showed as being on all night.

Any ideas on what it could be and how to track this down?

Sense reacts to changes, basically identifiable edges in the power load. It frequently misses events (both on and off), particularly when the change happens in a different way than it’s used to. For example, turning off a breaker may not be the same as a device shutting itself off.

Also, your “turn on” may have been a mistake or it may have missed the associated turn off…thus thinking the device is still running when the power load is actually gone. The whole house power meter would show those transitions, but the device meter may not.

1 Like

Hi Andy:

Thanks for the reply! OK, that makes sense.

I’ll try again but this time look at the whole house meter.

Thanks,

Ray

image001.jpg

Hi Andy:

I tried again while watching the whole house power meter and it still didn’t make a difference. I ended up resetting the Sense device and that seemed to clear it up. Not only is the Heat 3 device gone for now, but the overall usage of the house seems to be more accurate.

Now to see if this Heat 3 device shows up again so I can figure out what it is.

Thanks,

Ray

image001.jpg

1 Like

Hm, this is odd @Ray13.

If you haven’t already, could you send a support ticket to support@sense.com just so we can log this issue?

1 Like

Ray, how long have you had your sense set up ??
does the reset start from scratch ??

I set it up about 2 months ago. When I said reset I just unplugged the power and plugged it back in. I didn’t do a factory reset of the entire unit since I would have lost data doing that.

got ya, thank you for the explanation.

A short update on this, since I unplugged the Sense device and plugged it back in the other day, I have not seen the Mystery Device return. It has been about 3 days so far. I’ll continue to monitor.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.