LED lights noise suppression

I’ve been out of touch for a while, but things are going good, a little over a year with my Sense and I"m happy with it… but a search through this forum and across the web have not answered a question that came to mind recently…

long story short, I’m doing some major upgrades to my Harley and realized that some guys with LED lights have reported huge interference with their AM/FM radio… a few were even using ferrite to suppress the back fed noise from the LED lights… now that got me thinking…

Sense looks for patterns and signatures across the AC lines in my home… I have all LED lighting… I don’t recall ever seeing ferrite used on AC wiring, but I can’t help but wonder if ferrite could be used to suppress the noise generated by my LED lights? and since PV micro-inverters (got 17 of those) also create large amounts of AC noise, could ferrite help there as well?

now I can’t find anywhere that anyone has applied ferrite in this matter… for me, Sense has been a great live monitoring tool, but with only 9 devices found in over a year, most data is under “always on” or “other”…

now, to some of you engineers out there (especially the Sense engineers), have you tried this? would this work? what kind/type/size of ferrite? does it need to just be on the load side of wiring? or is this just crazy?

on a separate note: I have an LED security light on the outside of my garage, and if its plugged into the same outlet as my security cam in that same location, the cam can’t connect to WIFI and reboots every 5-10mins… as long I as give them separate plugs, even on the same circuit, they are both happy… I’ve also put the light on a smart plug and shut it off during the day (schedule) to help lower interference… so I know this interference is real, although I have no true way to test noise levels in my home… or at least I haven’t found a way with simple equipment…

I’m not am EMI (electro magnetic interference) expert, but noise is a general term for sporadic “data” that obscures the signal you are trying to detect. Noise that affects 2.4 or 5 GHz WiFi using Quadrature Phase Shift Keying (QPSK) modulation, is very different from noise that would affect a wireline DSP detector like Sense’s. It would be interesting to better understand the “spectrum” of noise that affects Sense’s DSP front-end, but that would likely entail revealing elements of their DSP algorithm(s), plus sharing some rather ugly math for sensitivity to noise parametrics.

@HiTechRedNeck,
You might also want to watch this video on noise from Sense… Forgot that this was out there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.