Sense vs. Radio Frequency Interference Suppression

Good Afternoon All!

This question is probably going to lead down a very deep rabbit hole but here goes.

As a ham radio operator I have been dealing with a growing number of electrical devices that radiate noise across various parts of the radio spectrum. The solution has most often been to wrap the power cord of the device around a Ferrite core a few times (or more) which surpasses the noise.

What effect does the Ferrite have on the signals that Sense uses for device identification?

Thanks,
Harry

1 Like

My first response: none

What you are suppressing is harmonics.
Sense detects voltage/amps/phase differences at a 50/60 Hz signal.
It does that by sampling (just a number) 20,000 times a second but it is not looking for Mhz components of the signal.

Would like to be corrected if I am totally wrong :wink:

Should have asked what frequency you are experiencing the interference.
I assume the ferrite cores are low pass filters?

1 Like

I think the ferrite helps dampen Mhz plus harmonics from the power supply ? As @dannyterhaar suggests, Sense is really looking at aspects of the 60Hz power ramp. So probably shouldn’t affect detection.

2 Likes

Most of the interference I am seeing is in the 3 and 7 MHz portions of the radio spectrum.

Switching power supplies and “wall warts” are the worst offenders.

I didn’t think the ferrites should have any effect but since I have been working hard on cutting down the RFI my Sense seems to have had a significant slowdown in device discovery. I am definitely willing to chalk that up to coincidence and bias because I am my paying more attention to discovery.

–Harry

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.