Mystery Detection - 57W every 20 minutes or so

Does someone have any thoughts regarding what could generate a power usage goes on about every 20 minutes, with a load of about 57W ?

I disconnected many devices in the house, when the load is on, but was not able to identify the device yet.

General question, does sense log some of the data on the device, so that if I disconnect the wifi and all computers and backup drives in the house, it will still record the usage?

On your second question, as long as power to the Sense monitor is on and you keep your internet blackout to less than a few hours, Sense will store your data locally and upload/backfill to the cloud once reconnected.

Sounds like you are going to do the experiment of turning off each breaker, one-by-one for an hour or so to see if the mystery detection disappears ?

Sounds similar to my heatpump head units. When idle they consume a spike of power every 20 minutes to charge up a bit or something

It ended up being a freezer I thought I checked, but apparently didn’t check well :slight_smile:
Thank you for trying to help.

1 Like

On a related topic, I am seeing a 250W (approx) spike every minute on the button. Could this be a signature related to incoming power or is there something in my house cycling every minute to cause this?

Not likely coming from the outside / utility. They can’t “push” usage spikes onto your home, unless they are driving a spike in voltage every minute. If that was happening, you could see it in the Signals section of the Sense Monitor tab under Settings, or in the Sense Labs Power Quality alerts.

Thanks for the feedback. The 8-min trend below should give a better idea of what I am seeing.

That’s another mystery device. Looks a little like this Keurig in standby mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the diagnosis. You hit the nail on the head! I unplugged the Keurig and signature went away. I will use the auto on/off function to reduce the power being used. The power consumed to maintain temp far exceeds the initial power consumption to get up to temperature for the 2-3 cups of coffee it may get used for each morning. Appreciate the help.

4 Likes

Depending on which model you have, some Keurigs draw power even when “off”. We got rid of one that worked that way.

Many modern devices draw power, some of them significant, while “off”. Sense is useful in tracking down these energy predators.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Mystery Device : Every hour come on twice in succession 40 watts

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.