Net Zero Emissions Home

Has anybody on this forum used Sense, solar photovoltaics, air source heat pumps, geothermal heat pumps, induction stoves, electric vehicles, battery storage, or other technologies to get their house down to net zero greenhouse gas emissions?

I just installed solar panels on my roof, but I have a lot of devices and appliances that still use fossil fuels and emit greenhouse gas:

Gas oven
Gas stove
Gas water heater
Gas furnace
Gasoline-electric hybrid automobile

Replacing everything would all at once would be very expensive, so I am trying to consider the most cost effective way to reduce my emissions.

How far have you gone in reducing your emissions? What is your experience with owning and operating zero emissions electric replacements for the devices listed above?

This guy has. You might enjoy this video:

1 Like

Depending upon how much you drive (how many EVs you have, or will) and where you live, the most effective carbon-reduction path (imho) is, in some kind of order:

• Get solar [DONE!]
  • Gasoline-electric hybrid automobile ==> drive in electric-only mode possible?; migrate to EV if you drive a lot; donate/sell car to gas-only driver
  • Do I need more solar now?
  • Gas furnace ==> Heat pumps … or a pellet furnace + thermal storage system if you are in a very cold place with trees.
  • Gas water heater ==> integrated heat-pump and HW system OR consider a solar collector (not PV) water heater … potentially more efficient and gives you some redundancy if done in an integrated way. Then again, direct PV-to-DC-to-water heating is pretty appealing.
  • Gas oven/stove ==> induction

All along the way of course there is the carbon debt of the whole energy cycle for the gear replacement to consider. Not straightforward, especially when the world is moving toward this kind of thing.

2 Likes

One of my many energy peeves (hinted at it the prior post) is the lack of desuperheaters for mini-splits and, for that matter, simple retrofits for air-source heat pumps.

Has anybody successfully managed to take the waste heat from a mini-split (summer-mode cooling) and get it into their hot water supply? And for that matter, you could use it in winter for the added efficiency of a heat-pump vs. resistive heated water tank.

In my mind this could potentially be achieved with a custom lineset heat exchanger that wouldn’t require the addition of refrigerant to a pre-charged mini-split install.

If you’ve done the same with your fridge/freezer you get serious bonus points!