New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

I have exactly the same box. I ended up installing it on the meter side, above the breaker panel (it was not sealed). I had an electrician come by later. He said it is technically not to code, but that the electrical company wouldn’t care. Apparently they would only care if you stole power above the meter.

Could you have accessed the above the meter area? On my box, I have the security ring around the meter that you would have to bust if you wanted to remove it. I did talk to the power company about removing the meter just long enough to hook up the CTs but they said NO.

I only had to remove the cover, the meter stayed in place. It did not have a seal.

@israndy @samwooly1 @jlj.pers This convo should be taken either to a new thread or group PM. The introduce yourself thread is going pretty wildly off track. :+1:

3 Likes

My name is Al. Up until a few weeks ago I had never heard of Sense. Saw someone mention it in regards to a posting on social media in a plex group. I was curious so I looked into it, liked the idea and ordered one. I just connected it today so I’m just waiting on Sense to do its discovering now.

3 Likes

I’m Brian, a retired EE living in Central Florida. I’ve had Sense for a month as part of the deal from our solar installer. It has discovered about a dozen items, but a few of them I have not been able to identify. And for some the reporting of operation seems to be intermittent. I will be scouring the forum for discussion of these and lother apparent anomalies.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @al.ayres and @bblanc.

For the intermittent reporting issues, @bblanc, detection models should refine themselves over time. It also can’t hurt to reach out to Support, as sometimes simple issues can get in the way of solid device detection.

Hi All, Semi retired EE here (electrical, electronics, analog, mixed signal). I’ve followed the Sense product for years now, but having the enphase energy meter controller version (solar) thought it might be too similar. Finally broke down and ordered one and wow, am I impressed. It is so interesting to watch the power curve at much higher time resolution (enphase does a lot of averaging over minutes). Also, the machine learning aspect is interesting (although I am almost happy enough with just the high resolution power meter in time!). Sense found my dehumidifier and fridge, now I suspect I’m in for the long haul for other devices. I already changed the new GE basement dehumidifier from 40% to 60% humidity which may pay for Sense over the next year or two. Curious to see how long it takes to find the Honda Clarity PHEV and chargepoint 32A EVSE, especially with my infrequent driving.

3 Likes

Welcome! Sounds like you’re off to a great start.

Now you have me wondering just how many active/retired/semi-retired EEs we have here. You’re one of many!

Hey! Software Engineer here. Just getting started with Sense (a couple of days). I’m pretty into home automation. I have insteon switches throughout my house, smartthings, Wemo, Nest, Wyze, and use Home Assistant to tie everything together and get it to play nicely (theoretically). I’m really excited for the potential that Sense has. I’m fascinated by Machine Learning and even though it’s not my area of expertise, I can see myself getting into that part of my work in the future.

As far as BBQ, I’d have to go with Brazilian BBQ hands down. Recently moved to Texas where BBQ is taken pretty seriously but honestly it’s hard to beat a thick steak cooked perfectly on a grill with just rock salt. It’s simple and taste amazing. =)

3 Likes

Hi folks. Mike here. TV broadcast engineer. My monitor has been in place for about 10 days. This is my first experience with smart home devices. I’m really having fun with pinpointing energy use and finding the power hogs. I’m probably going to put some of my always-on sources like my TV and audio receiver on smart plugs so I can kill power to them when not in use. Just realized yesterday evening that, although it hasn’t been identified as it’s been too hot to use it, my whole house attic fan pulls a THOUSAND watts. Crazy. I would’ve never believed it.

I’ve noticed that all the Sense monitors I see are orange. Mine is white. Edited to add: I just discovered why. Schneider box. Same device.

Although I got mine through the Lowesloop program, I have plans, depending on how this one performs, to buy another one for my well pump which is not on my service panel at the house. My well water may be very pure (I have friends that come over and fill jugs of it because they don’t like their city water) but it is so acidic that it regularly eats through the pump/hose coupler. In the fifteen years I’ve lived here, I’ve had to pull my pump twice to replace the coupling. Recently had problems with a leaky backflow valve causing frequent cycling. It would be nice to have a notification if the pump is running excessively; kind of an early-warning system.

I make my own barbecue/hot sauces and rubs. My favorites are all homemade: Baby back ribs with my homemade sweet & spicy rub finished with a sweet “Blues Hog” style copycat sauce, grilled venison back loin with a reduced red wine/currant jelly based dipping sauce, chicken kebobs with a white Alabama style sauce (my daughter’s favorite), and grilled honey-chipotle chops or chicken breasts.

Mikey

2 Likes

Welcome, Mike! For a brief time, I taught TV production to undergrads. I never did it professionally (that old joke about “those who can’t do, teach” is relevant :smile:) but I really loved teaching it.

Yeah, those 24/7 fans really can pull a ton. Radon fans too, though those serve a crucial role.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress with Sense!

:drooling_face: This sounds amazing. Alabama sauce is my favorite.

I worked for a short time at our local NBC affiliate as a director, then later when I got my EE degree as an engineer. Loved the job but had to leave because I needed to actually… you know… make money.

I’ve worked at a university now for 16 years. Way more laid back than commercial television. We’re a small shop so when I’m not maintaining studio and field equipment or scowling at students :slight_smile: I’m probably shooting something, running a switcher or audio console, overseeing live remotes, or being a roadie (equipment mule) for field shoots.

1 Like

Cyrus here. Found out about Sense watching youtube video on this future house (this old house). Wanted it right after. The father’s day sale got me to pull the trigger. Installed it just 3 days ago and it already picked the fridge. Excited to have it learn my Chevy volt. I have a nest thermostat and nest doorbell. I also have a couple Philips hue bulbs and my washer and dryer are connected to wifi. I work at vivint solar as a electrical engineering tec.

5 Likes

Hi from Nicaragua, my name is Christian Torres, Mobile/Web Developer, a smart device fan and a new user of this awesome piece of technology, I have great expectation of this product in helping me save energy and money, I am also in the process to switch to Clean/Renewable energy and I hope to analyze my energy comsumption with this device’s help in order to find out what the best inverter, amount of batteris and PV are.

2 Likes

Welcome! If you haven’t already, definitely check out sensesaves.ssense.com for some stories of how others saved money with Sense.

1 Like

Thanks, I just started to read some histories. Excited about this

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Danny - a hardware engineer in San Francisco focused on consumer electronics and personally really interested in saving energy both for the planet and my monthly bill. Thus Sense is something I’ve always wanted! Just installed mine yesterday and am already excited that it can show me a 2W difference when I turn my reading light on/off. Looking forward to learning more about unlocking this potential through the forums.

First feedback would be the forum was not intuitive to find from the dashboard…

3 Likes

Welcome Danny form another Dan.
It’s best to access the forum by using the “DiscourseHub” app rather than through the Sense app.
You’ll have to install the app then add community.sense.com to your list to start. Then use your Sense login information to sign in. Turn on notifications and you’ll get an alert when your topics or posts are responded to.

Welcome, Danny!

As for accessing the forum, I think the best experience (by far) is via a desktop browser. Second to that would be the mobile browser rather than the Discourse app. So, I guess I agree with other Dan on that!

But you’re right that the forum is somewhat buried in the mobile app. Not entirely sure how we can un-bury it though. I’ll let Product know.