New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Thanks Sam and Ryan. I have not tried anything forum related from a mobile device, only desktop browser. My feedback was specifically that the forum is not obvious from the Sense webpage nor the desktop dashboard at home.sense.com. I completed the setup and sign in process after installation and had no pointer to where the forum is. I finally found it at the very bottom of the homepage shown here:

Without using the dedicated DiscourseHub app on a mobile device, you can still navigate to the forum through the Sense app.
Settings, help, community forums. This will open a webpage.

I don’t think it is a question of how to get there. It is the matter of knowing about the forums existence in the first place. I don’t remember how I found the forums, but I believe ultimately it was Danny’s persistence on trying to find the forums made him end up here.

Even if it is in a welcome to Sense e-mail or pop over in the app, I know at least for me, those first messages go un noticed because I just want to use the thing I just bought / installed /etc… Its only after I jump into something that then I might start to look for help, or discourse with others.

Basically, no where that I have seen is there a big “hey, there is a large community of people willing to help. You should go check it out.” Right now on the website, you have to
I would advocate adding a “Community” tab to the left of the “Help” text.
Or I would actually rather see “Help” be “Support” and in the same line / font / size / color as Blog and Technology. Then at the top of the Help/Support page have something that links to the community.

A couple screen shots from Ubiquiti, Apple and Google below as possible suggests where the community is more visible.

3 Likes

This is a great point. Let me bring it up with my team.

1 Like

I am a fairly new member, probably about 4 to 5 months now. Haven’t had the time until now to delve into this Sense business, but I am quite fascinated by it. It is quite amazing to me that each device in the home can be measured in its electrical use, and by studying the results, we can control our electric bill better. I am retired from Allstate Insurance Company, and I’m not really up on technology at all, although I enjoy hearing about all my family on Facebook and emails. I did get solar panels, and have definitely noticed a difference in electric bills.

1 Like

I’m Kyle, I literally just got my sense installed this morning and I’m looking forward to playing with it. I’ve always been into tech stuff, I love knowledge and data so this is right up my alley. It will be interesting to see what I can do with it.

I recently started working in IT, on the administrative side rather than tech. I’ll be learning some tech, but my primary job will be asset management.

I don’t have a bunch of smart home stuff, Ecobee 4 and some Nest Cam products is all that comes to mind. I do plan to add more smart home stuff over time, especially cameras, but it’s just not a priority right now.

My favorite type of BBQ is whatever is on the plate in front of me… can’t say I’ve had much that’s bad.

@peglegracing on twitter as well, but I’m on there approximately never.

1 Like

Welcome, Kyle!

Hi there, my name is Don and I’m an electrical designer at a small engineering firm north of Pittsburgh, PA. We provide design services for healthcare facilities throughout western PA. I’ve seen some awesome electrical distribution systems with extensive metering interfaces and one day I was curious if there was anything like that for residential use. A google search brought me to Sense. I saw it was on sale for Energy Efficiency Day and decided it was time to pull the trigger. I installed my Sense about a week ago and it’s discovered 5 devices already.

In my house I have two Google Home assistants and I would love to add more smart home tech in the future, particularly smart lights with color tuning, I think it would be so cool to be able to shift the mood of my rooms from my phone.

As far as barbecue, I love me some smoked pulled-pork slathered in sauce.

So far, I love Sense. My fiancee thinks I’m a total nerd, and she’s probably right, but I don’t see anything nerdy about saving money on my electric bill :laughing:

Welcome, Don. I think you’ll find most of us are a bit nerdy here, but that’s all good. You’re in good company!

Have you seen the Google Assistant integration? Hey Google, Ask Sense... - Sense Blog

Hi my name is Jeff. I purchased Sense Solar to provide me with a tool to better manage and minimize my electric usage. My Sense Solar was activated yesterday and has found 2 devices within the initial 12 hours. It identified a “stove” which was actually the Living Room baseboard heat and “Heat 1” and Heat 2" which were actually the Master Bedroom baseboard heat. I renamed the “Stove” to “LR heat” and merged “Heat 1” and “Heat 2” and renamed them to “MBR Heat”. So far so good.

I live in upstate New York in a rural area consisting of 12 acres, 2-1/2 of which I enjoy mowing. My home is a ranch style home designed with electric baseboard heat. The main heat comes from a wood pellet stove supplemented with a propane fireplace, the electric baseboard heat and a propane kitchen wall space heater (emergency backup). For cooling there are two window AC units. A 5,000 BTU unit in the master bedroom and a 8,000 BTU unit in the living room. All the original electrical appliances (stove, hot water heater and drier) have been replaced with propane appliances. My gas barbecue grill is tied into the main 250 gallon propane tank. My 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plugin is charged with the standard 120 volt charger and is on a timer set to be charged between 10 pm and 5 am each day.

I have a ground designed solar system consisting of 32 LG panels generating a total of 8,800 watts feeding an SMA Sunny Boy 7700 watt inverter. I also have a 14.4 KW Generac backup generator. The Sense twin solar CT clamps are attached to the AC line feed coming from the inverter in the transfer switch box. The Sense twin CT main clamps are attached to the mains in the 200 amp electrical box. My solar production is being “net metered” by National Grid.

My hobby is “weather” and my website can be found at https://indiantrailweather.com I am also an amateur radio operator. Call sign is KC2WGU.

Love spicy hot chicken wings. An avid Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres fan.

Zeus my min-pin four legged companion, four cats are I are hoping to be able to utilize Sense to manage the electrical usage and solar power generation minimizing our electric bill.

That’s the intro. We’ll let Sense continue it’s device detection. Take care all!

3 Likes

As a former upstate denizen, I second the wings !

That’s some nice weather obsession you have going there! With Sense I full expect you to be geeking out on cloud calculus.

There are some threads to explore in that regard.

Those threads are very interesting and are scientifically way above my pay grade. Thank you for sharing.
Just as a hobby and not very scientifically derived I do use one of my weather pages to forecast a weekly estimated solar production output from my system. Here’s a link to my solar power generation forecast page Indian Trail Weather - Sample Blank Page
With the Sense solar reporting I’ll now be able to do some comparisons between Sense and the SMA Sunny Portal reporting. Today was the first day which was almost totally sun producing and Sense reported ~ 99% of the values reported by the inverter output. This is a fun hobby …

1 Like

Heya everyone! I’m Andy, a system admin and developer from Columbus, OH and a new homeowner. My wife and I have lived for 4 years in a townhouse apartment that was an electricity-sucking hellhole. It was always the worst in summers when the ancient, constantly patched-up A/C unit would run nearly 24/7. We set out to look for a home earlier this year and decided to do a new build in a nice development close to where we were living. Determined to not have $180+ electric bills any more, I started looking into ways to “smart home” the crap out of our new place and came across the Sense monitor. I purchased one on discount during the recent sale and had it installed about 2 days ago. The only devices that have shown up so far are the ones connected to my Kasa outlets & strips (we’re still in the move-in process), but I’m already loving all of the data and being able to see in real-time how things are affecting our power draw.

3 Likes

Welcome, Andy! Glad Sense is working out for you so far. 2 days is pretty early on, so you should start seeing devices pop up soon.

Hi, I’m Joe and just got my Sense installed yesterday! I am in Virginia and have solar panels and a lot of LED bulbs and smart home accessories, this seemed like the right next step.

I am a software engineer and a nerd and I also run Larps.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I’d been wanting to get Sense for quite a while. Jumped when I sale it on sale the end of September. Just installed it 2 days ago in advance of my 10kw solar system being installed in November, here in Ohio. Looking forward to contributing and seeing the breakdown with my electricity use!

1 Like

I’m posting as half of 4-unit owning couple Eugenia & Ming (we live in one + rent out 3 others). We got Sense to help make sense (ah ha) of everyone’s energy expenditures and of what devices need love/killing off.

Our smart home tech includes Ecobee thermostats, Nest cameras (our neighborhood is the best, but does have some crime issues), and Schlage smart locks. What should be our top priority to add next?

Our favorite bbq sauce is anything that comes out of the Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. Get yourself a copy. Great stories of all the crazy ways/places he dug up his recipes (from Afghanistan to France), and everything is delicious. Does not neglect the vegetarians in your life.

I’ve been known to lurk on reddit, but I go all-out on twitter at @eugeniaschraa; Ming’s at @mingtai.

1 Like

Welcome! A Sense fleet of four apartments? That’s an awesome story. I’d love to hear more about how well it’s working out for you.

And that BBQ bible is not a book I’m familiar with, but sounds like the perfect gift for my dad this year and I think I may grab one for me too.

1 Like

Never had our “fleet” complimented before, so thank you! (I should have said we live in the basement unit, so it’s technically just 3 apartments, with a weird 4-apartment configuration.)

We just got Sense end of August, and so far just have 2 of them (covering 3 units b/c of basement aspect). So far, we’ve learned the driers use a LOT of energy. As weather gets colder, excited to see if can make adjustments to save on costs there.

(Barbecue Bible is excellent gift. Start with your Dad. You’ll soon want your own after that.)

1 Like