New Replacement Microwave - Will it be Detected?

I have a second Sense coming but that is already spoken for, for another purpose. Getting my Traveller HS110 back in action (Kasa and Sense see it, but Sense hasn’t added to devices yet) and hoping that the real power draw is closer to 1.6KW. Looking at the spec sheet for this microwave drawer on the web, I see that it has slightly different specs:

120V, 14.5A inputs
1000W output power

And investigating the IEC test procedure, it appears that it is done with water, not popcorn (bummer) :wink:

The 14.5A would suggest a higher power input level of 1740W, closer to the number observed in the Sense tags and identification. But given the size of the input transformer and capacitor, I’m betting we are now into the slightly esoteric world of real vs apparent power. If I look at the schematic for the “drawer” and edit to see what the plug sees when the microwave oven relay kicks in, it looks like this:

Update: I still don’t have a Sense waveform for the new microwave, but the Kasa app with my Traveller HS110 tells me the power is about 1640W. It bopped around, a little below and a little above in multiple readings. So the Sense main Power Meter was closest to matching the HS110. BTW, the oven uses about 3W when off (standby)

1 Like