Official API

The current export functionality can also help enhance reporting functionality for those who want it. I have used extensively and wish Sense would extend beyond hourly resolution.

But my experience has been that only 10% of the folks who want extended reporting capabilities, that export could make a reality, are willing to delve into Excel, let alone an API.

2 Likes

Is this category no longer available?

Updated link: Data Analysis - Sense

1 Like

I can get to authenticate and get the basic information throught the REST webservice.

How can we read the realtime watts other than going through websockets?

^ You may be better served by referencing the Data Analysis subforum link referenced above. This subforum is about requesting features from the Sense team and not discussing unofficial API integrations.

Would be very helpful for Sense to post a page like below for api users:

…support.rainmachine.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004378147-Using-Postman-to-control-RainMachine-API-environment…

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Visualizing energy with Raspberry pi, dancing LEDs, and Sense

Welcome to the community, @kevflynn!

There are a lot of things we’d like to implement that fall into the API category. Building out and continually supporting an API is a significant amount of labor and would benefit (as @RyanAtSense has mentioned further up this thread) a minority of our overall userbase. That being said, conversations surrounding this topic are occurring at Data Analysis - Sense and we encourage you to check out some of the threads there where folks are doing amazing things with their Sense data.

1 Like

Justin, surprised by this statement and curious how you measure interest and the last time you validated the desire for this feature. I have seen numerous posts for integrations with SmartThings, Hubitat, etc.

I am a Sense user as of late August 2019 and would love to see a local web socket interface so I can integrate with Hubitat. I haven’t seen any sort of polls since I have been a member of this community hence my question.

2 Likes

Hi @ritchierich. While we have conducted randomized surveys across the userbase, we also routinely interview users, both in the field and online. Keep in mind that this forum represents a small portion of our entire userbase and users here tend to lean more towards being quite technically proficient and feature requests are usually skewed in that direction. We don’t believe that an API would be beneficial to the majority of Sense users and feel that the significant dev resources needed would be better allocated to other projects, especially those which can help the majority of users save money in their homes.

1 Like

You’re not seeing the benefit to Sense from one person using the API to create an integration for The Next Big Thing that in turn brings many more users to Sense. All for the price of getting the API cleaned up and documented.

5 Likes

Justin, you and Ryan keep posting that data-analysis link, you do realize it shows as " Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private." right? Not very useful here.

There were some permissions issues where brand-new users couldn’t see that forum. I’ve updated so you should be able to see it now.

That’s unfortunate. I hoping this was going happen so I could be completely soloed from the mobile app and web app. Basically get the data I need and not worry about UX trends and changes I disagree with.

1 Like

I get it. Heck I’ve spent most of my professional life as a product manager and I know that you have to make trade-offs like the ones you’ve described in this thread/topic. Nevertheless, I want to add my voice to the many who would love to be able to customize the use of the data.

Perhaps in lieu of defining and supporting a full suite of APIs, you could enable a feature in which Sense data can be sent to a file (maybe an AWS S3 bucket) with some access control. Then we could mine our own data without you having to create the universe of APIs.

Any way, kudos to you for knowing what your strategy is and sticking to it.

Came back around to this after a year of kind of leaving my Sense just do its thing. I’m not much better off with any more detected devices than when I started a few years ago. But I did make a slight change to pulling data. Now just throwing the Web socket connecting into InfluxDB and using Grafana to make some pretty pictures. (Kind of like it - might delete later…)

12 hour view:

30 minute view:

Point being for this thread - I love having an API to get to the data that’s being represented. I’d hate to lose access to it because it’s not actively being managed. But at the same time - it’s what your mobile App is using - so it is kind of being maintained… We’re just consuming it in a different way.

Anyway - here’s to maybe having more than my water heater, fridge, furnace, and garage door being discovered. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome work, man! Looks great!

1 Like

Are you using NodeRed or something else to connect to the web socket? This is still on my todo list as I have NodeRed already setup for my Home Automation system dumping data to InfluxDB.

Actually - just hacking a raw connection with “websocat” and transforming the deta. It’s ooooh so ugly. :slight_smile: But alas - it works. I’ll have to check out NodeRed for sure!! For mine - it’s essentially a couple of tiny shell scripts run via a self-killing cronjob (to get around the 15 minute web socket Sense limiter.)

websocat -n wss://clientrt.sense.com/monitors/$device$/realtimefeed -H "Authorization: bearer $token$" -H "Sense-Client-Version: 1.17.1-20c25f9" -H "X-Sense-Protocol: 3" -H "User-Agent: okhttp/3.8.0" | sense_influxdb.sh

1 Like

Deployed NodeRed - looks quite well put together for some workflow design efforts. Wow. But - waaay too much for what I’m needing to do - just consuming the stream for graphing. Appreciate you sharing something new to me!