Power Quality - weather correlation analysis

How was your issue detected?:
Sense voltage dip

Did you noticed any other signs of this issue around your home?:
Snow/rain/wind

Screenshots from Sense Lab

Our utility feed seems fairly stable and is perhaps typical of suburban power-pole mounted transformers in the Northeast. Power is mostly an ALL or NOTHING affair here and on average, with very high weather dependency, there are maybe 2 or 3 outage a year lasting for an hour or so to 12. Days-long outages can occur with serious weather.

All that by way of asking power professionals out there: If you had the aggregated feeds of many Sense’s Power Quality data in a particular locale, could you perhaps target which transformers/poles need attention? Slapping tree branches needing trimming? Bonding torques need increasing? Insulation resistance needs testing?

This last power dip timing matches precisely with my Nest doorbell footage of a wind gust and sideways snow.

Without exposing the whole Sense to Utilities I can imagine that providing them with a Sense Labs Power Quality feed and geolocation data could be quite beneficial.

Another thought is that the “Voltage Dips & Spikes” is Compared with “most Sense users”. This could evolve to be a more localized comparison as with power usage.

3 Likes

I love this - great use of smart devices :slight_smile: