Fault Detection: Motor Stalls is an algorithm that identifies anomalies in the performance of large appliance (240V) motors with spikes above 1000W, including (but not limited to):
- HVAC / Heat Pumps
- Sump Pumps
At this time, the Fault Detection: Motor Stalls algorithm does not detect:
- HVAC fan stalls.
If you’ve received a notification in the Sense app about a motor stall, we’d like you to share details here in the community (please do not reach out to Support for any issues regarding Motor Stalls). Simply create a new post and fill in the details in the Sense Labs template to share your details with the community for feedback.
How to create a new motor stall post for community feedback
- Title - For the title of your new post, please label the post: Motor Stall - [SUBJECT]
- Completeness - In order for the Sense community to provide feedback or insight, please share the below details when posting a motor stall to the community. Here is an example of a properly formatted submission.
Required information to include:
• How your device issue was detected
Did you get the notification “Fault Detection: Motor Stalls” in your app?
• What device has a potential issue
If known, please share any relevant notes about appliance performance/behavior (for instance, not starting up right away, making an abnormal noise)
If unknown, please provide a list of 240V devices.
Screenshots - Sense Labs: Motor Stall screenshots and Power Meter motor stall screenshots
Optional information to include:
• make and model information for the device
• any specs on the device’s power consumption (if possible)
Tagging - Please make sure the entry is tagged correctly as “motor stall.”
• Consistent formatting - Please make sure you have as many of the above criteria as possible in your post so Sense community members can offer feedback or questions.
Resources for Large Appliance Motor Stalls
Below are some initial resources for large appliances that are most likely to experience a motor stall. If you have suggestions for additional resources to add to this list, please reach out to @JustinAtSense.
- HVAC Diagnostic Procedure: Steps on how to inspect your HVAC unit for a potential issue.
- HVAC Noise Diagnosis: How to diagnose the sound coming from your HVAC unit.
- Sump Pump Diagnosis Procedure: Steps on how to inspect your Sump Pump for a potential issue.
- Sump Pump Noise Diagnosis: How to diagnose the sound coming from your pump.
Troubleshooting an Electric Motor
- Electric Motor Diagnosis: Electric motor basics with information on household appliances motors.
- Electric Motor Capacitors: The most common issue with a large appliance with an electric motor is usually a capacitor. Here’s more information about what a capacitor is and where it can be found in various household appliances.