Sense, Solar & Powerwall

I added a second Sense monitor to my installation to get a better handle on the Tesla Powerwall providing power to my home during utility peak hours and to ensure I eliminate the demand charge. The upper half of the image is my new Sense unit monitoring the combined Solar&Powerwall output and the lower is just monitoring my solar only output. You can see in the upper image the “missing” morning solar - that missing power is recharging the powerwall from the prior evenings peak period. You can also see the stored solar being used to power my home until 8pm. I wanted to be able to separately track true solar produced and to track the powerwall.

6 Likes

Energy storage adds a whole new dimension to power/energy accounting ! From what I have seen, the Tesla app also shows energy flow between home, solar energy inverter, battery and grid, but presumably not as much detail as Sense.

2 Likes

@kevin1 - Very true! Exactly why I added the second unit. Tesla’s app is pathetic, no detail, no export - basically just eye candy for a quick overview. I need the nitty-gritty!

This is all data gold that is usable sooner rather than later. Lovely.

I don’t know how they do their calculus but this is proof that Tesla (and other providers for that matter) should invest in Sense right away. Or at least: “And get a free Sense with your new EV/solar/battery”

Firm believer in throwing multiple Senses at problems rather than fiddling around and ultimately coming up with less usable data.

2 Likes

The web interface to the Powerwall gateway can produce details on every aspect of the PV/PW operation albeit at much coarser inervals than the Sense.

I sample selected data each midnight and produce a series of day-by-day plots patterned after those from the Tesla app.

2 Likes