SmartThings Integration

BTW: have been in many product development. Now that I see the latest responses I checked. Kudos actually to Sense Engineering / Development team. They have indeed rapidly developed and released quite a few features.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the informal API:

I agree with one exception.
I disagree with removing control of devices using Sense. I have found it quite useful because of all the 3rd party apps.
Example, No one is home, using sense I notice the coffee maker has been on for 2hrs. I can turn it off immediately without having to sort through the dozen or so apps on my phone trying to remember which one the coffee maker uses.

Building upon this.
Sense is not a whole home smart hub. If Sense were to integrate with Smart Things it would clutter the platform immensely while offering little to no useful information that would benefit Sense itself (the backend). Do Sense users really want a device and bubble called ā€œBluetooth headphonesā€ at the expense of downgraded performance of the existing Sense platform as Sense would have to delicate recourses to making Sense of all that nonsense.

The existing integrations do benefit Sense but not in the way most people think. They donā€™t necessarily help with native detection (the machine learning aspect), however the highly detailed reporting the allowed integrations provide, help the human engineers to train sense in a (much more complicated then I could easily explain kind of) way. Smart Things app/hub and other smart home devices simply cant provide the level of details nor accuracy in the proper format to be of much help.

I was once a fan of integrating everything with Sense, but the more I learn about Sense and the direction of Sense the more I think it would be a really bad idea. Home Assistant is an excellent solution for everything ā€œsmartā€ related, just wish it was a bit easier to grasp for the average person.

1 Like

You are describing a ā€œhubā€ with ā€œspokesā€ā€¦ Sense being a hub in this description.

My argument is that all those 3rd party apps that you are talking about should go into a dedicated hub like ST, HA or HE and Sense should also be available in those as well, such as in HA. That would be the singular location for control and monitoring of those devices.

I get that you like it, and I donā€™t think the power control is going anywhere, but if you go full automation in your house I think youā€™ll look at Sense slightly different. I would rather HA tell me if I left something on because I can control that data and notification much more precisely. For many people who donā€™t automate like a crazy person, Sense and itā€™s notifications are welcomed and preferred and thatā€™s a-okay!

I think that having Sense act as a mini-hub can cause people to want more and therefore drive suggestions like the OP to have control over other devices outside of Senseā€™s ecosystem. Sense could be considered the gateway drug to home hubs :syringe: :rofl:

1 Like

Weā€™re stealing this for marketing copy.

3 Likes

Iā€™d say most users of Sense had previous additions to smart drugs (devices) in one form of another. At minimum most have tried other substances first, so I donā€™t necessarily agree with the gateway analogy. The chicken or the eggā€¦

On that note itā€™s a nice feature for non-addicts who will become the new majority of Sense users as utilities are installing millions of the Revelo smart meters over the next few years.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Revelo - a Sense-powered Smart Meter - what would you do with one?

Iā€™d like the ability to add a SmartThings personal access token to Sense, enabling Sense to query for the energy usage of Samsung appliances that report usage.

1 Like

First post after installing, so I am still in discover mode, but SmartThings controls a bulk of my house (seen enough horror movies to know not to make my garbage disposal ā€œsmartā€).

Does anyone know or have experience that the old integration works with the new driver setup. If it does, then I will go out and get a Raspberry PI and do it. Just want to make sure before the cost and time to set it up. I cannot see anything on the SmartThings forum, either.

Are you asking about this user-developed integration with SmartThings ?

The question was asked and they admitted it was ā€œa little weirdā€ but nothing has been asked since April.

@kahilzinger , Brian just responded in the SmartThings forum - repeating here, just for completeness.

This app in its current state is going to be dead in about a month when groovy is discontinued. I have some ideas of how to do this with the Edge driver platform, but Iā€™ve not been able to really prove it out. When I do, Iā€™ll post here.

1 Like