Solar Net Metering - How Do You Manage Your Solar Balance?

For those of you on net metering programs, you have an annual true-up date. In my case, the true-up date is fixed based on the date of solar installation, but I have heard others say that their utility gives some allowances to move it (either one-time-only, or with some limited frequency)…

For me, my true-up date is mid-May. My preference is to have it closer to March, but I could do worse than my current mid-May true-up date.

March would be the start of significant solar production, and would allow me to accumulate my solar “acorns” in the spring/summer, and manage depletion through the wintertime when the solar production is low, and energy is relatively high due to people staying home more because of the cold weather.

This strategy wouldn’t work if my true-up was in the beginning of Fall when solar production goes down, and instead of building up my solar “acorns” and managing “the burn”… I would basically be going into “energy debt” and need to forecast the spring/summer months of over production to get me out of that debt…

Mid-May means that I need to go into slight “energy debt” by March, and then count on my early Spring production to get me across the finish line close to a net zero on my True-Up day.

How do you all manage your net metering and annual true-up? Or do you even manage and think about it?

My true-up period is roughly aligned with the calendar year, but my solar was never sufficient to cover all my usage, and the gap grew after I added two EVs to the mix. So my target is simply to try to reduce the previous year’s true-up.

1 Like

Yeah… I have a small system…but my consumption is also low, so I have to manage my burn in order to get the most out of my system…

It’s already mid-February, and I should be in “energy debt” at this point, but I have a surplus… It’s going to be difficult for me to burn all my excess production by my mid-May true-up…

My problem was magnified by the fact that my AC broke last summer and we sweated it out…but also ended up not using as much summer electricity… I’ll get that fixed before this summer, so my usage should go up this summer…

1 Like