Splunking Energy data from Sense and various meters

I’ve taken my homeassistant data, forwarded it to splunk. This includes sense data, along with various energy meters (hs110s and aeon labs HEMs), light and switch statuses. By knowing the lights dim/max watts or the switches watts we can figure out the power its drawing.

I’ve managed to get to only 8% of my energy use as unidentified. Much of this is due to data from the zwave meters not being available in splunk until mid April, a few data loss events, and not having meters on the range/oven yet. I may actually use the sense devices for the range and oven.

6 Likes

This is awesome. Unfortunately it’s not something I can do because most of my devices are still not detected. :frowning:

Love the Sankey chart for visualizing power categorization, both incoming and outgoing. Assume you munged together multiple data sources ?

1 Like

Yup, multiple data sources. Probably around 12 distinct device types. Zigbee, zwave, various network device - including sense.

Very sweet.

Lucky you’re not taking power back out of the EVs to power things when needed! Sankey feedback?

The stacked power plot got a workover by @kevin1 here after a suggestion by @jlj.pers

The Sankey is easily my favorite viz. It does let me see how close we are with grid/EV. We are trying to keep the solar from powering everything EXCEPT the cars. We live in Nebraska so it’s pretty uncommon for anyone to have an EV let alone solar. So we are were aiming to have the solar cover only the house’s consumption. This way if we ever move the buyer doesn’t feel compelled to need an EV.

The stacked graph is not my favorite. In splunk it stacks things alphabetical, so ordering them is next to impossible.

I’m gonna mess with a starburst chart next, I think that would be a lot easier to visualize more than 3 levels as I have with the Sankey.

2 Likes

do you have a splunk method to get the sense data directly or are you just grabbing it from a middle man? I want to pull it directly into splunk without going through home assistant.